LED Dome Bulb Issue

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

Yesterday, I received 4 LED bulbs, purchased on ebay. I installed only one in the dome light between front and rear seats. I've noticed blub does not go out 100% when car is turned off. It works nice and bright when doors open. But why does it not go out all the way? I don't think I have a short coz incandescent bulb works as it should.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You have what we call a "ghost current" in your circuit. This happens when there is excess energy leaking into the bulbs even when the switch is in the off position. If the LED assembly is just a lamp and resistor it could potentially be on dimly from this leakage. It won’t hurt anything, but if you want one that goes all the way out when it’s supposed to try these, they’re very bright when on, and are all the way out when off.
Although you didn't give any details about the LED bulbs, I can infer that as you bought them from eBay you probably opted for the lowest priced one's available. Unfortunately not all LED bulbs are created equal, especially the bargain basement stuff. Sure you can get this size bulb for less than $2 each, but as you've discovered, sometimes a bargain isn't really a bargain.

RoyDaGeneral

Rogue One wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:20 pm
You have what we call a "ghost current" in your circuit. This happens when there is excess energy leaking into the bulbs even when the switch is in the off position. If the LED assembly is just a lamp and resistor it could potentially be on dimly from this leakage. It won’t hurt anything, but if you want one that goes all the way out when it’s supposed to try these, they’re very bright when on, and are all the way out when off.
Although you didn't give any details about the LED bulbs, I can infer that as you bought them from eBay you probably opted for the lowest priced one's available. Unfortunately not all LED bulbs are created equal, especially the bargain basement stuff. Sure you can get this size bulb for less than $2 each, but as you've discovered, sometimes a bargain isn't really a bargain.
So, is price the deciding factor here? Last year, I paid $12 for 14 LED bulbs for my '13 Mercedes and they worked flawlessly, and that was a great bargain. Not sure I follow your argument.

RoyDaGeneral

Is it possible our trucks don't handle CANBUS technology? Here's a description of those cheapies:
"31MM Festoon 3030 6SMD OSRAM Chips C5W Dome Canbus Car LED Light Bulbs"

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

RoyDaGeneral wrote: So, is price the deciding factor here?
Well no, a higher price doesn't always equate to better quality (ever hear of the Cadillac Cimarron? :ohno: ). But in the case of LED's, more often than not the bargain basement stuff isn't worth it. BTW, you didn't mention how much you paid for the LED's for your Infiniti.

Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

I have had the same issue with LEDs in the same location. Never turns all the way off. It's been close to 2 years, and I'm pretty sure it's not enough to affect the battery (if that's what you're concerned about).

RoyDaGeneral

I paid $9 for 4 bulbs, and yes battery drainage is what I was concerned about, so it's nice to learn someone had tried those LEDs and battery drainage isn't an issue. I recently installed a permanent voltmeter below radio and it hasn't shown any drop in voltage before starting truck.

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm
I've noticed blub does not go out 100% when car is turned off.
Did you try switching to OFF position?

RoyDaGeneral

QX4ME wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am
RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm
I've noticed blub does not go out 100% when car is turned off.
Did you try switching to OFF position?
In the "OFF" position, bulb is completely off, but I do need it on when doors open at night, so I keep it in the "DOOR" position and that's where it doesn't go out totally.

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

I replaced my (passenger area) dome bulb with a LED bulb from O'Reilly for few years back. Pretty sure it was a Sylvania, since that's the brand they carry for bulbs, but I can't say for certain. It goes all the way off with the switch in the Door position, has done so for years.

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

Now I recall in my other car, I has the same issue. Since it is "off", meaning although there is some voltage, the resistance looking into the source is high. I connected a resistor, forgot its value, maybe a few kilo ohms, in parallel with the LED. The draining current is very low but problem solved.

RoyDaGeneral

Today I installed the one of the LEDs I recently got in the dome light by the trunk lift gate, and it does NOT have that issue, it goes off totally as it should. What gives here?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:05 pm
Today I installed the one of the LEDs I recently got in the dome light by the trunk lift gate, and it does NOT have that issue, it goes off totally as it should. What gives here?
The power leakage in the dome lamp is probably due to the type of circuity used for that switch. Typical Nissan/Infiniti quality control.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”