LED Brake Lights

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Theironman117
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan QR25DE CVT

Hi all,

I own a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan with approx. 140k miles. I am wanting to install LED brake lights on the car because my left rear brake light keeps going out and I keep having to replace it. I figure if I go with LED's this might save me some hassle as LED's have a long life span.

I found some plug and play LED bulbs for the rear brake lights, but I am worried about them flickering/pulsing/getting faster when the turn signal is engaged.

Is there anyone here that has installed LED bulbs on the brake lights and/or is there another source that someone can find to where they come with an anti-flicker canbus or something of the sort? I don't wanna have to change out any resistors either so is there any way to avoid the turn signal getting faster due to the LED's?

Any/all input is appreciated.

Thank you all and God bless us in these trying times...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You have to ballast the lamps only if your 3rd brake is an LED also. If there's at least one incandescent bulb in the system, you shouldn't have issues. However, if they're all LED's, you must install a small ballast. A 1 Kohm 1/2 watt resistor will generally work fine. This isn't to prevent flicker, it's because many other systems in the car monitor the brake lamp signal. The "voltage drop" across LED bulbs can cause false "brake applied" signals if the brake switch contacts leak even a tiny amount of current, leading to bizarre performance issues with the tranny and "mystery codes" from the ABS.

Theironman117
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan QR25DE CVT

Thanks, I'll remember that when I do switch them over. I just didn't want to have to worry about problems in the future.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. No other worries, the light bulbs don't "talk" like that funky euro-stuff.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”