Leaving My Nissans parked 3+ weeks

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Due to an international trip coming up tommorrow I am leaving my vehicles (2008 Pathfinder 4x4 with the V8 and 2011 Xterra PRO4X) parked for 3+ weeks, this is how I prepared:

- Both were due for an oil change anyway, so got an oil change as I hate the idea of dirty oil sitting still in the oil passaged for weeks at a time
- I put one of the anti UV/heat shields into the windshields.
- Put a can of Seafoam into the fuel tanks as a mild stabilizer
- Topped the Pathfinder off with 93 Octane Non Ethanol fuel and the Xterra with 87 Octane non ethanol fuel
- Then drove each enough to make sure this fuel and the Seafoam wasnt just sitting in the tank but got into the fuel lines as well.

One thing I did not do was disconnect the batteries.

Why? I think of it as a test of both vehicle and battery, if it does not start I know I need to replace battery and/or I likely have a draw somewhere.

I am willing to take that chance as one of my vehicles (a 2011 Xterra) has the same size battery as the V8 Pathy (24F) but its oversized for that application (calls for 35) and its an AGM cell to boot.
So I am confident the XTerra will start and I have jumper cables to start the Pathy if need be.

So far the Pathy never given me any indication about being a weak starter so I expect it will start, but I do want to test it.

macgiver

I understand all what your doing , good , but the battery part is definitely an 'experiment' , I know too , I know you know too :naughty: I gotcha . But 3 weeks is a quite long time , BMW's trash batteries like TEN days!
In any event , my opinion or guess FWIW is at least one , maybe two (perfectly fine?? ) batteries will become trash due to probable too deep or even dead cycle ie < 6 VDC ??

p.s. ANYTHING forming a conductive path for Pos / neg terminals like leaked electrolyte , dust , grease etc. Can & will add several milliamps to your quiescent (car off) draw , killing the batteries faster than if you wiped battery completely clean on ALL SIDES .
Last edited by macgiver on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:17 pm
BMW's trash batteries like TEN days!
In any event , my opinion or guess FWIW is at least one
Older Bimmers typically draw a lot more standby current than a Nissan, about 3~4x in my experience. Even I-key Nissans draw only about 13 milliamps in hibernation, and keyed models are usually less. The cheapest group 35 is rated 44 amp hours, and lead-acids don't typically fall off the cliff into deep discharge until about 10% capacity. With a usable 39.6 Ah, that means the group 35 can theoretically sustain an I-key Nissan for 39.6 / 0.013 = 3046 hours, 3046 / 24 = 126.9 days before it harms itself. That doesn't mean it will start the vehicle in that state (it definitely won't), but it will still be above 10V and will take a jumpstart readily. More importantly, it won't be harmed significantly when recharged. That starts to occur in earnest at about 8.5V, and in that region anything more than a trickle charge will harm the plates.

For those who may not know, the funny "square white button" in the middle of a Nissan fusebox is an extended storage switch. Pulling it out disconnects backup memories in most of the car's devices and will cut standby consumption by more than half.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

"Square white button" info very good info. Not included in owner handbook.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

MikeRL411 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:40 am
"Square white button" info very good info. Not included in owner handbook.
On most cars the only time it will ever be used is on the trip from the factory to the dealer lot. That's what it's intended for, to limit discharge of the brand new battery until the car can go through PDI and be ready for sale. That doesn't mean people laying their car up for months can't avail themselves of it. Just be aware that it kills practically all of the "volatile" memory in the car, radio presets, HVAC settings, vehicle preferences stored in the cluster, etc. Pretty much the only devices that won't lose their brains are the BCM and IPDM, so all that stuff will need to be restored when your trip is over.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I never know of the square white button's purpose. Good stuff. I seem to remember them being flat though, so pulling it might be a little tough. I'll have to look closer next time I'm in there.

PalmerWMD

Just got back to the US.
Both vehicles started no issue at all.
Hooray for good maintenance! :yesnod

macgiver

Curious what the Voltages were in those cars - just sitting , and before you cranked them yesterday , like "they dropped down to what ?? " , ya know , good to hear " Live knowledged experience " " Live and in color " , be "proud as a Peacock " ........ LOL

PalmerWMD

macgiver wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:46 pm
Curious what the Voltages were in those cars - just sitting , and before you cranked them yesterday , like "they dropped down to what ?? " , ya know , good to hear " Live knowledged experience " " Live and in color " , be "proud as a Peacock " ........ LOL
I didn't check the voltage, but I could not discern at all, any difference to normal starting speed/sound of these cars.
(and i paid attention and am also very familiar with my vehicles.)

Both have 24F batteries , which is the stock size for the V8 (Pathfinder) and one step up for the V6.
The battery in the V6 (Xterra) is a Bosch Platinum 24F I bought in germany approx 1.5 years ago (but not a AGM like I posted at first incorrectly)

The battery in the Pathfinder came with the car but has tested out good.
I had it tested at 2 different shops with an eye to replacing with new ( as I tend to do with use cars) but both shops assured me the battery is good. This was in January/Feb.

No excessive draws but Nissan goodness. :yesnod
try this with a lot of other brands with a 10 year and 14 year old SUV and you likely will need a jump.

macgiver

Well that's a very thorough reply , I Gotcha , I was kinda " Voltage curious " ,
Thanks Palmer ... I'll leave out the Weapons of Mass Destruction ???? ......Part ? LOL

I wanna " Live to see another day " and I ain't even no F 'n James Bond

PalmerWMD

macgiver wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:26 pm
Well that's a very thorough reply , I Gotcha , I was kinda " Voltage curious " ,
Thanks Palmer ... I'll leave out the Weapons of Mass Destruction ???? ......Part ? LOL

I wanna " Live to see another day " and I ain't even no F 'n James Bond
Very well deduced. :yesnod
That was the original reason for those 3 letters due to my work.
The acronym has lost a bit of its common currency since then and CWMD has been in vogue and a return to the old standby of CBRN is also back in common usage.

macgiver

Then I'll mind my P's & Q's , try to keep things from getting FUBAR , and will not repeat any of this .......
But when the waterboarding starts ...... SWITCH IT TO VODKA TONIC WATER :lolling:

p.s. your acronyms are killing me

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If y'all don't mind, just leave me out of the "Earth shattering kaboom".

MM.png

:rotfl

macgiver

Now that scares me

macgiver

By the way VStar..................................Kaboom works wonders on your toilet :laugh: :rotfl

p.s. what was this ....... "parked for three weeks " ....whaaaaaat ?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:20 am
By the way VStar..................................Kaboom works wonders on your toilet :laugh: :rotfl
I have two characters for you, "C" and "4". It'll get your poddy way more than clean. :naughty:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Oh, yah.... and since it's your poddy, you can cry if you want to. :rotfl

macgiver

I give up , no mas me , over and OUT !

Not quite
Last edited by macgiver on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

macgiver

Last call for Sedan Crater...........anyone ?? C'mon while it's Still hot :dblthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7539BL4f4E&t=269s

That was for you Palmer....Weapons OF MAAAAAASS ............DEEEEEESTRUCTSHEEEEOWN ! Ready To Rumble !

PalmerWMD

macgiver wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:55 am
Last call for Sedan Crater...........anyone ??
I been there :naughty:

macgiver

MeToo late 90's Bechtel-Nevada , went to end of platform , 51 was mile 'o two over next ridge ,we were site seeing there - foreman said , with all our work we do in different "Areas", we don't stay more than 10-15 min , still very 'warm' . What's weird is they had a plaque AT THAT TIME that said the 'yield' was due to 75% Amfo + 25% Atomic (fission) Nuke , many years later that mix showed different in like wiki or youtube ?? I get the Amfo reduced the total radioactive atomic remnants & fallout for " cleaner " canal digs . Now that plaque seems to been " Fake News" ?

I see civilians can take NTS tours now like very limited times ?

Return to “General Chat”