Lease Return - 10 Day Grace Period?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
washnwax
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37

My 2013 Infiniti M37 lease is due on May 25th. Won't get my next car until a week or two later. I've heard that Infiniti offers a 10 day grace period on returns, but what happens if the registration is due before I return it? I'm in CA and my registration payment of $339 is due by May 28th. If I return the car 10 days after the lease is up, that would be June 4th and the registration would be past due. The late penalty is $44 through June 7th. Would I only be responsible for the late penalty? Or the entire registration? Anyone have any experience with this?

I can rent a car for less than the cost of the registration, so that would make more sense than using the 10 day grace period if I'm responsible for the whole registration fee. But the penalty alone would be cheaper than a car rental. And I'm taking over someone else's lease, so I'm not in a situation to get a loaner from a dealer...

Thanks!

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Talk to the guys at the dealership, I'm sure they've run into this before. To avoid legal hassles, I would go the rental route -- can't imagine that you could drive that car just for the cost of the late fee. Taxing bodies just don't think that way.

Good luck

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I agree ^^. returning the leased car on time and renting a car for the week until the next car comes in appears to be the safest route. It might also make it easier should your next car gets delayed coming to you for whatever unforeseen reason.

Julia M. Warren
Car: 2017 Chevrolet Cruze

I totally agree with the previous speaker, you should consult with people at dealership not to get in trouble with with legal issues. You are risking your money, you cannot know definitely whether you will be charged with the registration or just late penalty. Try to look for any information at *REDACTED*, car section, there were similar situations as yours, where professionals are advising people what to do in such case. I hope this website will be helpful.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon May 23, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPAM

washnwax
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37

Thanks txchamps and Bubba1. Not worth the hassle or worry. I'm going to talk to the dealership, but probably just rent a car for the week.

Return to “General Chat”