Leaky Window Seals

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
bsox0407
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX Champagne Beige
1990 Nissan 300zx TT

Hey guys,

I just replaced my window seals on my Z and wanted to show you guys that it was easy.

Check out my entire build and feel free to subscribe to me.
https://youtu.be/b_RRqaJFUPY

LetsGo
Car: 1990 300ZX NA 2+2

I'm jealous! I am battling leaks and need new seals badly. I have a 2+2 and best price I could find was almost $400 EACH. So, no new seals for me...

bsox0407
1990 Nissan 300zx TT

Mine were wicked expensive on mine too. It was about 1000 for that and the door seals too.

LetsGo

I have been searching and searching for some other method to fix things, to no avail. Mine is leaking right where the window meets the seals. I simply can't afford new seals. I'm considering adding some over the counter seals on top of the existing seals, just to get a water-tight seal with the glass. Not sure it would work though and then I would damage the existing seals, which really don't look bad. I'd even add something to the glass itself if I could think of something not totally a hatchet job. I know the correct way is to buy new seals but I just can't do it. If anyone has any other ideas please share!!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

You could try applying Vaseline or some other kind of inert lubricant but that's a VERY temporary solution at best and you'll have to keep reapplying it on a weekly basis if not more often.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

LetsGo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:28 am
I have been searching and searching for some other method to fix things, to no avail. Mine is leaking right where the window meets the seals. I simply can't afford new seals. I'm considering adding some over the counter seals on top of the existing seals, just to get a water-tight seal with the glass. Not sure it would work though and then I would damage the existing seals, which really don't look bad. I'd even add something to the glass itself if I could think of something not totally a hatchet job. I know the correct way is to buy new seals but I just can't do it. If anyone has any other ideas please share!!
You could try to adjust the top stop for the glass to see if it can be made to meet your seals if as you say they are not rotted/cracked/split. There is an adjustable stop that sets the top position for the glass that possibly got bent or moved, or the window was set low originally. I was able to find the perfect position on my NA many years ago when I had to replace the passenger glass, and reset everything up after the install of the glass (A true PITA job). The FSM was my guide, and that's what you should check out as well.
Just a thought as you decide what to do or save for new seals. Another thought is seeing if there are any local Z32's with good seals in junk/parts yards.

LetsGo

Appreciate the input gents! I've tried all of these things. All I can think of at this point is I have to figure out a way to somehow "rig" the existing seals until I can afford new ones...

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

There's a trick some of the frame-less folks use, it only works with enclosed weather stripping which I believe the Z32 has. You basically cut a slit in the weather stripping in an inconspicuous spot, I would recommend doing it on the underside or even removing a portion of the weather stripping and doing it on the backside that is adjacent to the body/T-Top (all depends on what the profile of the weather stripping looks like. Once you cut the slit you feed a piece of small foam rod (I suggest 1/2 inch closed cell backer rod). What this does is essentially gives the weather stripping more volume and rigidity, it presses against the glass harder, as long as the rubber maintains its integrity and isn't cracked or dry-rotted this should help.

This video sort of illustrates what I am talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaprBL7bP_0

This is sort of what I am talking about but it can be done with more finese:
http://homediygeek.com/car-door-weather ... ng-repair/

LetsGo

Thanks Nolimit. Interesting idea! I was thinking of using some of that 3M peel and stick rubber weatherstripping right on top of the existing seals. My fear was not only would it look like chit, but it may not hold and would destroy the existing seals. I need to look into this other idea - it may very well work. Thank you!

bsox0407
1990 Nissan 300zx TT

The only other thing you could try is to adjust your door

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”