Leaky Sunroof !

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
rontek
Car: Had -2008 Infiniti EX35 Now - 2009 Infiniti FX50S

I purchased a new EX35 with everything but Technology package. Two days after taking delivery I decided to take it to a Touch less car wash. When the jets went over the roof, water started to come in the car. Not a lot, but noticeable. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the roof. Tried it again, and same thing happened. I returned it again and they gave me a loaner EX. Tried that one in the same car wash, and same issue. Tried a different touch less wash, and same thing. I just got a call from Infiniti consumer services and they are telling me the car is performing to "Specifications", and that it should not be washed in a high pressure touch less car wash. That is "CRAP ! I have had many other vehicles with sunroofs, and NEVER has any leaked in ANY car wash. There is obviously something wrong with the design , and I can not believe Infiniti would give me this type of answer. I otherwise LOVE the vehicle, but to me this is a major issue. Have any other EX owners out there experienced the same problem? Could someone give it a try and let me know your results?

Thanks,

Ron

1stEXinCT
Car: 2008 EX 35 AWD Journey

My car is usually handwashed by the hubbie and don't tell him, but I took it through both types of car wash. No leak in my roof.

rontek

Thanks for your experience. I am actually surprised as both my EX and the loaner they gave me both did the same thing. As I said the water was not "pouring" in, but the pressure pushed the glass down slightly, enough to let drips and light spray in.

exawe
Car: EX35

I experienced the same when I wnet thorugh a touchless I pressured car was. I then took it to the one that had brush rollers had no problem with that. I need to let the dealership know.

rontek

Yes, Please do. If more of us make Infiniti aware of the problem, they will have to do something about it. If you would not mind, please PM me with the mname and State of the Dealership where you purchased your EX. I would like to keep track of them if possible.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

exawe wrote:I need to let the dealership know.
I have not gone through the car wash as of yet so have not run into this issue.

I am also in the Toronto area, so wondering which dealer you will be returning to for your service.

If you don't mind, it would also be great if you would share with us the quality/service you receive when you make your complaint, and how quick they are to fix the issue. This is my first Infiniti, so I am still trying to decide which dealer has the best serviceThx

EX-lover
Car: Infiniti EX 35

I bought from Markham Infiniti, and would definitely go back there for services. The service manager there is very good and reasonable, his name is Bill. I found a dent in my bumper 24 hours after I picked up and signed off my car. My wife and I know we didn't hit anything in that 24 hours, so we took it back to the dealer. He replaced the bumper for us at no charge. My friend bought a BMW and found a dent on the hood during the pickup inspection, but the sales told her it was the shadow from the lighting. When she took her car back for oil change, the mechanic told her she damaged it from car wash, and wouldn't fix it. She ended up writing a complaint to BMW, they finally agree to pay 50% of the bill. Markham Infiniti

pmas

I discovered mine leaking the first time I drove it in the rain, this past Saturday. It was quite a severe thunderstorm, much more rain than usual. I have washed the vehicle several times and even been to the car wash once. I never noticed a leak until this storm.I have the vehicle less than 3 weeks. I brought it to Infiniti and they just called to tell me they are replacing the sunroof glass, which comes with the seal as a unit. I will post the results after the next big downpour!

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Sorry I don't have an EX to compare it to, but my G35 doesn't leak in the car washes. I can't believe that they tell you that it's normal. Take it through a normal car wash, (mine goes all the time without problem), and if your car leaks, get the camera out and start documenting.

I'd never take "it wasn't designed for that" from a manufacturer when I'm using a readily available commercial product in the expected manner. It isn't like you're abusing the vehicle. From my time on this forum, I've seen other issues that people have had with Nissan/Infiniti and the "It wasn't designed for that" or "It isn't really a malfunction, it is normal" line is typically the way they start. When pressed long enough, with proper documentation, they typically capitulate.

I hope you get the satisfaction you deserve on this.

rontek

Can you please tell me your location and the name of the dealership if possible? I too had my sunroof replaced but it did not fix the problem. I am trying to document all the cases of this issue for Infiniti Consumer Services. Make SURE that after your roof is replaced you test it in a High Pressure Car wash. If there are any "Typhoon" washes in your area, I would use it as a valid test.

Thanks,

Ron

pmas

RonI just sent you an email.

pmas

OK.. you are going to love this! I go the car back last night. They replaced the sunroof. It rained a few hours later and guess what? Soaked! The headliner, the sliding cover for the sunroof too. I went right back to the dealer and they saw it themselves. When sprayed with a hose, it literally "sprays" in. They said this is the way it's designed. In other words, I am simply out of luck. I called Infiniti and now have an incident number. A rep is supposed to call me to figure out what can be done. I just find it hard to believe that getting rained on inside your vehicle is considered normal.Stay Tuned!

rontek

Paul and I are both dealing with Infiniti consumer services, as the dealerships are unable to do anything about the problem. This will make FOUR vehicles that I know about with leaking sunfroofs. When it starts to get cold and any water that may be let in freezes, it is going to cause all kinds of issues. The "drains in the roof" excuse just does not cut it with me. When the glass is closed NO water should get in any time. Other than this issue, I love the vehicle. I am just VERY dissapointed with the response so far from Infiniti responding to the problem. As I said before, if you have not had the opportunity to thoroughly test your sunroof for leaks, I would do so. if you do not have any issues, GREAT ! But if you do, you will want to let Infiniti know so they can begin to look into, and do whatever is necessary to correct the problems on vehicles like ours.

rontek

Well this will probably be my last post about my leaky sunroof. Infiniti consumer services has basically washed their hands of the issue. Their position is that the car is performing to specifications, and that water leaking in the sunroof in a car wash is OK. The issue Paul is having , according to Infiniti, is not related because his leak is more severe, and happens when it is raining as well. A leak is a leak. There is obviously something wrong with the design of the roof, or a manufacturing problem in at least some of the EX35's, as I have not found another vehicle, Nissan or not, that leaks in the same manner as mine. I even contacted the manufacturer of the car wash equipment, and they have never had any other complaints like this. They also believe something is not right with the roof. I have to say I am more dissapointed with the level and manner of support provided by Infiniti Consumer Services, than I am with the leaky roof itself. Although it is unacceptable, I can live with not using a high presssure car wash. I guess I expected Infiniti to provide the same level of service that I received with my BMW purchase, but I was mistaken. I hope all of you other EX35 owners out there do not have the same problems Paul and I are having, and if you do, make sure you let Infiniti know that you are aware there are others out here that also are experiencing the leaks.

Good Luck !

Ron

pmas

Currently, I decided to wait to bring the vehicle back for the dissecting. The reason for the delay is simple: When they replaced the sunroof, they scratched the wood grain on the console and also gouged the shifter knob. So I am waiting for the parts to arrive so I can make one appointment for all. Then supposedly, they are going to have an engineer on the line while the tech works on the vehicle. Honestly, I have absolutely no confidence in Infiniti at this point. Based on Ron's outcome, I feel we are all out of luck. What a shame!By the way, it just started to rain. I think I'll go into my nice new EX to take a shower.lol

sublime1017
Car: ex35 journey with nav and premium package. RWD

I have been watching this thread so I decided to test my car. When the high pressure wash sprays the top of the car, I did experience slight water leakage. Basically, the water comes in where the metal meets the glass. I guess I will have to bring it to the dealer and go through a wash and show them. I would say it certainly a defect with the design. I really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing roof/sunroof but I agree that Infiniti needs to be aware of this problem. If my sunroof or anything else exposed to water craps out on me, I want to make sure I don't pay a penny. However, it doesn't appear there is much recourse pertaining to this issue. Just wanted to mention this as this appears to be an issue most of us will deal with in owning the EX35.

exfactor

Why not a law suite claiming Infiniti selling defective products ?

rontek

Thank You for your contribution. I can understand your reluctance to having your roof replaced on your brand new EX35. (Mine was 2 DAYS old when they replaced it!). And I think as long as you make the dealer and Infiniti aware of your issue, and let them know you too are aware of several other owners experiencing the same, it will add to our goal of having Infiniti "Seriously" address the problem. Whether its the design, or a faulty part, or whatever. That is why I am trying to encourage other EX35 owners to at least give your roof a thorough testing. Even a small leak, is still a LEAK !

Ron

rontek

Each state has their own "Lemon Laws". I have made inquiries with an attorney, and if I did not like the car so much, (Other than the leak), I would seriously be going down that road. At this point I just want Infiniti to "Seriously" look at the problem, and FIX IT ! I dont want money. I dont want to give my EX back. I just want my roof not to leak under any "reasonable" circumstances.

Ron

sublime1017
Car: ex35 journey with nav and premium package. RWD

Thanks for the quick reply. You are so right b/c I love my car. I am going to be out of town quite a bit for the next 30 days or so but I will post again on any developments when I have time to take it in to the dealer. I haven't noticed it all during rain but maybe I wasn't checking hard enough at the time. In any case, it's a slight leak but I don't feel I should have to put up with it since I spent 40K on my "dream" car.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

if I had water filter down and shower inside my EX, I'd be gunning for a new one. no telling what long term effects it will have on the electronics and leather...and carpet mold.

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

We just had a major storm in New Jersey with torrential rain and strong winds.(30-60 mph winds) Went to check my 1 day old EX for leaks and everything was dry as a bone. I guess i got lucky and got a tight sunroof from the factory. I will only hand wash my EX. It seems that the high pressure automatic car washes could be the source of the problem.

rontek

Im glad you appear to be OK. It does get tough washing by hand in the winter though. Also the point is , it should not leak EVEN in a high pressure automatic car wash. Good luck with your new EX.

Ron

lsyankees

Already brought in the ex35 into the dealer. They were told not to touch the car by Infinifti since there was no fix at this time. My car leaked during a very heavy down pour. Also, put in a call to infiniti's consumer affairs which the dealer recommended to record this issue. Awaiting to see what happens next. So far no leaks during a normal rain. I haven't been to a car wash as of yet so I cannot report on this yet. Our car is less than 2 weeks old as of 6/28. I will try to keep you updated once I hear back from Infiniti or the dealer.

rontek

Well, It looks like Infiniti is Cover Your A#@ Mode now. This response just proves they know they have a problem, but whether they will do anything now or ever , will remain to be seen. From the response I have received to date, I would not hold your breath. The best you can do is to let them know it is not acceptable for a brand new $40,000 vehicle. The model has been out just about six months. I have had mine for a little over one, and since I posted my leak issue I have already found at least SIX other owners with the same or similar problems. Please keep me posted with the response from Infiniti Consumer Services. I am trying to keep track of all the owners that are having the same problem.

Thanks,

Ron

ExLover

Hi all, this is my first post. I took delivery of my ex35 in February. My sunroof does have leakage every time to auto car wash. Also a few weeks ago in Toronto there was a heavy thunderstorm and there's water leakage as well. I'll bring this to the attention of my dealer next time I take my ex35 for maintenance.

rontek

Well, thanks to a concerned and caring sales person, I was able to speak to my dealerships Infiniti Corporate Service Representative. I explained my frustration with Infiniti Consumer Services, and the fact that I have found "several" other EX35 owners experiencing the same or similar issues. I told him I was not looking for anything from Infiniti, not a buy back, not financial compensation. I just wanted my brand new EX35 that I really like a lot, not to leak under any reasonable circumstances. He still was not convinced there was an issue. He did agree to investigate my claim of other owners issues, by looking into the Infiniti dealership service records for EX35 owners that had reported sunroof leaks. I would also like to keep track of owners that have had roof leaks so I can "compare" what I have found with what his investigation comes back with. If you are an EX35 owner and have reported a sunroof leak to your dealership, or are planning to, PLEASE send me an e-mail or post in the forum, the name and state of the dealership where you reported the leak, and the date you first reported it. If you want to send me details of the number of repair attempts and any other responses from Infiniti, I would appreciate it. I am only trying to gather information to support a satisfactory response and fix for the problem. I do not need or want any personal information. You can send your info to [email protected] or post it in the forum. If anyone else wants a copy of the list I create, they are welcome to it.

Ron

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

I was wondering if this was a early production issue. Mine was built in March and I have no leaks. I did not run the car thru an auto car wash (i do not plan to) but I had two major storms with heavy rain and wind last week and not a drop of water. What part of the sunroof does the water come in? I would like to check my car after rain storms.

rontek

My EX was March 08 production as well. With my roof, the water comes in from the back. So if you were to be sitting in the drivers seat, and put your hand behind you, up inside the roof, you would feel water come in where the glass meets metal. There is a piece of foam rubber up there along the edge of the glass you can also feel. This becomes soaked as well. Others have experienced much more severe leaks. As far as the car wash goes, it is not an "Auto Wash", but a touch less high pressure bay. No brushes, just water.

Good Luck !

Ron

M45Caliber
Car: 03 M45, 54K mi, Pearl, Chromes, Frozen Rotors/Hawk pads, 5000K Fogs, MagnaFlow Exhst, Lip Spoiler

I live in AZ so little to report in the way of rain related leaks (but the monsoons are here... so we'll know soon enough) It's been through the local "shammy strip" car wash several times with no discernable leaks. We purchased our EX in late Feb. - fresh off a truck... so Jan or Feb production would be my guess. I'll advise one the rains begin.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”