Leaking Window/Roof Fit Issues

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

Seems to be an increasing number of folks who have, or had water leaking issues. Is the problem large enough to warrant an e-mail or call to Infiniti to raise the issue up the ladder? Your thoughts?

Armstrs
Car: 2009 Infiniti g37 convertible

I would think Infiniti would watch sites like this, especially since this is a new design. That way they can fix the bugs for next year.I am beginig to think it is a roof fit issue not a window issue. The other day I noticed that I could see the top edge of the drivers window when it was closed all the way. Terrible wind noise. I did the trick in the owners manual about holding the up button for 3 seconds after closing the window but still did not go up all the way. Just to see, I put the top down and back up again and that fixed it. When I put the window up, it went up into the rubber seal like it is supposed to. If the dealer wasn't 2 hours away, Id have em' check it out. Oh well...

Rondog
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible

I vote to contact Infiniti - my dealer has had my car for a week on 2 different occasions, including a trip by some factory guy. That's BS!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I was thinking about this recently and I wanted to start a thread about this exact issue. There should be a standard course of action for dealing with this type of body fitment issue. Great initiative Rondog.

First off I would like to say although fitment issues with the top or windows is not a results of poor construction but it seems to have allot to do with everything settling into place. There are actually many points of adjustment in both the top and all four windows, this allows for adjustment in a number of ways to resolve any issues.

When it comes to dealing with Infiniti corporate the first thing they are going to tell you no matter what the issue you are having with the car is to take it to a dealer and speak with the service manager or shop foreman about exactly what you are experiencing. This is a very new model and we as technicians are learning along with the new owners just how this car tends to behave. Since this is Infinitis first retractable hard top we are slightly behind the curve when it comes to potential errors in this setup in a real world application. Although the engineers put the prototypes through some serious quality control tests there are going to be real world issues that need to be resolved in a manner befitting the price point and be worthy of carrying the Mt Fugi insignia. It may take a little patience on behalf of the owners and some people on the service end who know what they are doing.

As a request to any of the owners here facing potential body fitment adjustments, would you be willing to share some details of your incident including some pictures of effected panels and details of the adjustment/service performed to resolve this concern. Since this is the first and fastest growing G37 convertible forum I was hoping we could create an open database for owners and potential service employees who may happen upon this information in pursuit of answers. If you all are interested I will construct a template to follow in a format similar to this thread ( zerothread?id=407259 ) If however as Rondog has stated in the above post multiple attempts have been made to resolve a fitment issue we may need to find out where the people who can actually fix this type of thing are located. Personally I have yet to get into one of these repair issues but if LadyG is willing I would be more than happy to document what is actually required when it comes to fixing a fitment issue and isolating this type of water or wind leak.

Not to defend sub standard service but... the company who made the top for this (not Infiniti, but a large European maker of only retractable hard tops) has never worked with Infiniti and many technicians have not yet had a chance to get into this type of work yet. The fact of the matter is we at the dealers are the ones that need to brought up to speed quickly on this type of issue. The cars are out there and although there are not many right now you guys who bought them should be happy with them.

Armstrs

I am going to attempt to post pictures of my window fit issue since I still have leaks. The window just keeps acting wierd. It stops at a different place each time I open and close the top. My issue yesterday: the window would not roll up with the door open. I closed the door and it went up. When I opened the door again it went down the inch like it is supposed to but when I shut the door it went down another inch instead of up! What...the...heck? Open the door, down another inch. Close the door, down an inch. I pushed the button inside the door several times until the window was completely down and then it functioned correctly.[IMG]https://forum-attachments.sfo2.digital ... ow.jpg[IMG]

Armstrs

Try, try again

Armstrs

Holy jeez, I didn't mean for the picture to be that big. Sorry.Here is the gap at the top of the window with the top up. No wonder I have leaks.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

SteveTheTech wrote:
Not to defend sub standard service but... the company who made the top for this (not Infiniti, but a large European maker of only retractable hard tops) has never worked with Infiniti and many technicians have not yet had a chance to get into this type of work yet. The fact of the matter is we at the dealers are the ones that need to brought up to speed quickly on this type of issue. The cars are out there and although there are not many right now you guys who bought them should be happy with them.
Not to call them out, but it is Karmann Group (German). To me, that was a big selling point since they supply a LOT of car companies with these convertible roofs.

But it's pretty typical to have glitches when you have two chefs in the kitchen. I actually worry that these glitches are going to pummel Infiniti's JD Power / Consumer Reports numbers, which only hurts resale value.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

It looks like you are in need of either a window motor or something else related to the position signal from the window motor. When the start going down instead of up that sounds like a strong indication of the sensor inside the motor having a potential.

Try resetting the window up position by holding the window switch in the up position after the window has reached the top of its travel.
Potomac-Greg wrote:But it's pretty typical to have glitches when you have two chefs in the kitchen. I actually worry that these glitches are going to pummel Infiniti's JD Power / Consumer Reports numbers, which only hurts resale value.
You know what that is a very interesting problem. There have to be some special criteria for convertibles no matter who makes them. Although Karmanns design is similar to other models when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the system. However it was designed specifically for the G and there are going to be a few issues here and there, but Infiniti is very proactive (for the most part) when it comes to addressing issues on new models. They seem to have put themselves on the line with this model. Knowing they are taking aim at a very particular market there product needs to be as close to perfect as possible.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”