Leaking water, cooling system in danger?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
jedi_sol
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45

Hi guys,

Ok, hammer me over the head.... but last week i changed out the fuel filter on my mom's 1996 q and dropped a my 3" 3/8ths extension with a 10mm socket attatched to it down the crevise below where the fuel filter sits. So I try to reach down there, but i could barely touch it with my fingertips and like the clumsiest bastard that i am, i knock it down into a deeper crevice right next to the engine block.

My mom calls me back in to eat lunch and i eventually finish replacing the fuel filter later that day. Later that night, while i am driving my mom's Q around, i hear 3 big clanks and then nothing. CRAP! I totally forgot about the 3" extension i dropped!!

Now the Q is leaking water around the passenger side whenever the engine is running. Its not gushing, but i'd say about 5 drips per second and this continues until the engine finally cools all the way down. Is the cooling system in danger? I know how the vh45 is vulnerable to overheating so should this problem be fixed right away?

thanx, James

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

sounds like the water,if CLEAR,is just the air conditioning drain dripping out its normal moisture it removed from the air in the car. try turning off the climate control for awhile,and i bet you see no water "leaking"

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

James- my first thought is also the ac evap dripping. i know you had the a/c on since its so hot n [for so cal] humid right now.

i can't think of anything that you would have meesed up with the dropped extension by the fuel filter [although i can't predict where it went when it finally 'fell' out].

you can also confirm that the engine itself is not losing liquid by checking the overflow tank [under pass fender behind battery--use a flashlight if you need to]. make note of the level when cold, drive around and then check it cold again to see if the same.

i just remembered i never got back to you about giving your car a look over-- [email protected]

jedi_sol

GQ Jay wrote:[although i can't predict where it went when it finally 'fell' out].
I know exactly where it fell out... transition from 55S to the 405N =).

I checked the coolant level, its fine.

Ha, i guess i never noticed how ac moisture drips from the car because of the two cars i've ever owned (91 gmc van, 93 honda del sol), NONE of them had AC.

Oh yeah btw, the "Auto" button on the climate control is the AC button, right?

Thanx for the quick replies everybody, i can always count on this website.

James

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

jedi_sol wrote:Oh yeah btw, the "Auto" button on the climate control is the AC button, right?
Yes, and more! In winter, it sets the heater going instead of the AC (if your temperature setting is higher than surroundings ... rare in SoCAL ).

It keeps the car temperature so well at the value you set, that I never had to mess with it in normal driving!
jedi_sol wrote:Thanx for the quick replies everybody, i can always count on this website.
Another hearty yes from me!

Z

jedi_sol

szhosain wrote:
Yes, and more!
Another nifty feature i found. As i was driving home tonight, the amb temp was about 67* and as i raised the temperature, it automatically switched the fan to blow top and bottom and as i increased the temp more, it switched the fan to blow just at my feet.

I love this car a little more everyday that i drive it.

James

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I agree with the above. Glad it was something simple!!

Over the years ive gone through a handful of 10mm sockets that mysteriously find their way into places

BTW, i leave my climate control on auto at 70F all the time and never touch it.. There have been times i dont touch it for a month....

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”