Leaking Valve Covers - Check your number 6 cyl before Warranty Expires!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

I recently changed my spark plugs and found my rear driver side valve cover was leaking into the spark plug tube. I called Infiniti and they said it should be covered.This was on my 05 Sedan with 50K miles.I traded for the 04 Coupe, so never had it done.

Evidently, this is a known problem with the valve covers.

You will want to perform this check prior to your power train warranty expiring. Would be a good idea to take some pics.I took these and was planning on taking them to Infiniti.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Looks like this is a pretty big issue for a lot of people.

This is for anyone who has found oil on their spark plugs at all.

Anybody know how long this would take to change out by yourself?

Road Ruler
Car: G35 sedan prem

This is a big issue for me as it will cost over $1,000. cdn to have Infiniti replace both covers. There has to be a more economical way.

On the pics posted up top.... Is that the 0 ring on the outside, top of the tube. There are a number of products on the market ( engine seal conditioners) that are designed to stop oil leaks by restoring seals to near original condition. Has anyone tried this for this problem?

Also... What if you took some of this solution and soaked the 0 ring with it. In theory it may bring the 0 ring back to life?? Easy to do on one or two leaking 0 rings for a test. What do you guys think?

tollboothwilley

try it out and get back to us on it

its supposed to be pretty easy to get to the valve covers

Kawabuggy

I would highly recommend that you NEVER put any type of seal "restore" into your engine, or transmission. This is HUGE mistake! Often times the seal restore crap is nothing but a high concentration of alcohol and other additives that will cause the rubber to swell. Over time those seals will harden and then crack causing much more mayhem than they solved. Don't try this crap--it does not work!

If the V/C are leaking, just bite the bullet and get them replaced. I was changing the oil on my wifes car today and was looking at the valve covers. It looks like the upper plenum will have to come off, but I don't knwo what else would be involved.

nuctech99m
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan

I had my plugs changed today and sure enough there was oil in my # 6 cylinder, I went to the dealer that I have gone to for some service and was told that they have no idea that this is a known issue, the service guy wants to do an oil consumtion test, but I am not having a consumtion issue.

Is there something that Infiniti has in writing that discusses the issue of the valve covers leaking, so I can prove that this indeed is an issue with more than just a few peolpe.

Thanks

tollboothwilley

Most people dont know much about this and wont find out until they are out of warrantee and go to change their plugs. That is why they didnt make this a recall. Its a big issue with most 2003/2004's.

I dont think that they have made a TSB on this yet.

Its normally the #6 cylinder...so get in there and check it out. Its not that hard to get to. Its the one closest to the driver.

jhmcastle
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35X sedan

I was just wondering if this is also a known problem with the 05 G35X. I just bought one and it only has 23000 miles on it.

tollboothwilley

It has been a known issue for any car with the vq35de. The HR motor didn't have it. I don't think even the REVUP engine has big issues with it.

bowlofturtle
Car: 2005 G35x

this falls under POWERTRAIN warranty right?

can someone state the warranty period.

i think it was 5/60k for powertrain.

spuy767
Car: 2006 G Coupe 6MT (Daily Driver), 1987 Buick Grand Nat'l & 1964.5 Mustang (fun)

Technically, no, Powertrain only covers "Lubricated parts." This is a common problem on VQ35DE's and unless your service advisor is a douche, he can approve it for warranty coverage.

spuy767
Car: 2006 G Coupe 6MT (Daily Driver), 1987 Buick Grand Nat'l & 1964.5 Mustang (fun)

tollboothwilley wrote:Looks like this is a pretty big issue for a lot of people.

This is for anyone who has found oil on their spark plugs at all.

Anybody know how long this would take to change out by yourself?
Probably take about four hours give or take depending on skill level. Then again, I just did a valve job on a Ferrari, so I'm probably one of the more skilled people on the forum. Make sure you print a copy of the appropriate FSM pages are read it about thirty times.

tollboothwilley

bowlofturtle wrote:this falls under POWERTRAIN warranty right?

can someone state the warranty period.

i think it was 5/60k for powertrain.
Yes, this falls under PowerTrain. 5yr/70K warranty. Check your plugs before you expire.

airaptor
Car: 2004 G 35 coupe

had this in the rear two plugs, took it to infinity and got new valve cover gaskets.

bluepitbull04
Car: 2006 INFINTI G35 COUPE 6MT

how much oil was you loosing because i took my 06 coupe 6mt to the dealer and they are saying that its consuming oil so they doing an oil consumption test on it which it failed the first part of it and now i have to take it back again after 500 miles for the last part and if it fail again i get a new updated motor they also said that that the 06 6mt was known to consume oil just a little fyi
Modified by bluepitbull04 at 3:54 PM 6/5/2009

YangG35
Car: Infinity G35

i just recently did a spark plug change, and yes i have oil. darn it...i called local auto part, but they do not carry just the grommet seal...but the whole set....this is about 2bill$...WTF!!! so i called the dealer, and its the same thing...does anyone know where i can buy just the seal.....??

markys
Car: chrysler 300

what does the kit includes? I don't know a store that sells just the seal but perhaps you can save more if you'll buy the whole set. The set might be of help in the future maintenance of your car.

________________ Always maintain good condition of your nissan parts to avoid unexpected delays :

Modified by markys at 5:03 PM 6/24/2009
Modified by markys at 7:08 PM 6/29/2009

lomita
Car: 05 G35 Sport Coupe

SVTCOBRA wrote:I recently changed my spark plugs and found my rear driver side valve cover was leaking into the spark plug tube. I called Infiniti and they said it should be covered.This was on my 05 Sedan with 50K miles.I traded for the 04 Coupe, so never had it done.

Evidently, this is a known problem with the valve covers.

You will want to perform this check prior to your power train warranty expiring. Would be a good idea to take some pics.I took these and was planning on taking them to Infiniti.

We had 20K miles on ours, I changed the plugs, the left valve cover had to be replaced under warranty. You can't just replace the seals. Way to go Infiniti. You screwed up big time on this manufacturing piece of junk.

x1fast1fury
Car: g35 coupe

LEAK IS NO BIG DEAL STILL CAR RUN 100%SAME ...ALL INFINTY HAVE SAME PROBLEM GASKIT ALWAY LEAK FROM CY 6

IndyTim
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan

Infiniti just diagnosed "drivers side valve cover leaking" on my 2003 G35 Sedan. Have 65,000 miles on it. Quoted $750 for the repair. Will get quotes elsewhere.

Road Ruler

20 months ago I changed my plugs and noticed oil in a number of the tubes. Car was out of warranty and gets hard use as it is used as a TV for our trailer.

I switched to Mobile 1, 10/30 high mileage oil and change it every 7,500klm's (5,000 miles). I suspect this oil may have some seal agent that might be making the seal work better???

The car now has 95,000 miles on it and it runs fine. In the spring I will have a look to see if the oil is still accumulating in the tubes but even if it is it doesn't seem to be an issue.

YangG35
Car: Infinity G35

the local store were autozone to napa...but if you know a store that sell just the spark plug seal for the g35 6mt coupe. let me know.. the kit that i found included head gasket, plug seal, and all seal for the top half. and like i said its about $2bills. I pretty sure its the plug grommet seal. so if you can give me the local store site or number. ill definitly give them a call and let you know if it work or not..

srv2nv

So if I change my friends plugs and notice oil in his back tubes, but just proceed with the spark plug change as normal (since he already said he doesn't have the money for it) it shouldn't be a big deal?

The car runs fine right now, but just hit 130K so he wants to swap in some new ones.

Road Ruler

I recently sent a note off to the Rislone/Bars leak company rep about our issue.

He pointed me in the direction of this product. http://www.rislone.ca/34250.htm

If you read all the details it states.... "Specially designed to seal rear main leaks, but also works better than a conventional stop leak on all other leaks. This includes timing cover seal, O-rings and other seals & gaskets. "

Has anyone tried this product? It sounds promising.

fsjlk1
Car: g35

well i just swapped out my plugs and cleaned TB code 0301 kept popping up ran a can of seafoam and it cleared up oh yeah oil in both sides ill see if this lasts fingers crossed

tollboothwilley

oil in the spark plug chambers is nothing that will be fixed with SeaFoam or swapping plugs. You need to remove the valve covers and either A) replace them or B) seal up the #5 and #6 cylinders (rear) with RTV while the valve cover is off.

fsjlk1
Car: g35

yeah i was hoping the seafoam would just get gunk off injectors my misfire code would go away with oil stil in the spark plug tube but im still alittle sluggish although its not consistantly sluggish Question if i cross connected two wires going to the spark plug coils would i get a misfire code 0301 ima noob

james t kirk

Just found this.

Recently changed the plugs on my 05 and had this exact same problem on the left side of the engine (much more so than the right side).

Changing the rocker cover gaskets appears to be a major PITA.

I don't see any oil under the car, so I can only guess that the oil leak is very minor.

I'm figuring to just leave it be to tell you the truth.

This would explain why sometimes I see a puff of oil smoke when she first starts up.

05 G35 with 120 kilometres on it.

pk999
Car: Infinity G35 2003

I have 2003 G35 and last time when I took my car for 105,000 miles service to the dealer, they changed the spark plugs and found oil leaks and said I need to replace Valve covers on both sides. The Quote was $1200 for the job. I am in East Bay - SF area.
Does anyone know where I can get in done cheaper than dealer quote.

Thanks

lomita
Car: 05 G35 Sport Coupe

pk999 wrote:I have 2003 G35 and last time when I took my car for 105,000 miles service to the dealer, they changed the spark plugs and found oil leaks and said I need to replace Valve covers on both sides. The Quote was $1200 for the job. I am in East Bay - SF area.
Does anyone know where I can get in done cheaper than dealer quote.

Thanks
Yeah, ya can't change the ten cent seal, you throw the valve cover away and replace with new. Right#*!*!!! Oh yeah, and it's made from plastic, well, it's a whole new ball game.

The fix involves removing the intake manifold to get the valve cover off...............pure genius......

We had the oil leak at 20,000 miles and so the $300 valve cover was still under warranty, removed and replaced.

The dealership would not replace both valve covers at that time under warranty. So, that ends our purchase of any further Infinities...........

A solution you might employ is to clean the seal and then use some hi temp RTV around the seal to stop the oil seepage.

Good luck! This should have been a recall item. The seal is mislocated in the valve cover. No manufacturing quality control.

We still have the 35, but our troubles have remained with the addition of a C63 AMG to the fleet. You have to fight for your rights to party. :naughty:

Don't worry, they will all be leaking eventually! :ohno:

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”