Leaking intake manifold gasket

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
KArookie

Hay all, I know the tital is pretty self explanitory...change the gasket... but I cannot figure out what is going on. Just did a full build, all new gaskets, new water pump, thermostat, hoses, and koyo radiator. when I went to drive the car after the build, I noticed when I parked it that coolent was hissing out of the upper rad hose inlet between the head and the mani. It is the cooling port right next to the #1 cylinder. I figured it was a bad gasket so I replaced it and did all I could to burp the cooling system. Took it for a drive and noticed the same problem. Anyone had this problem or know what it could possibly be?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Any chance you could post up a pic of exactly where it's leaking?

KArookie

I wish I could but I have not posted enough to be able to post pics. I can email a pic.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

There is no posting restriction on posting pictures. The website just isn't set up to host them, so you would have to use a hosting site like flicker or photobucket. As far as your leak goes, assuming that everything is properly torqued, there's probably some imperfection on either the manifold or the head causing the leak. You might want to try putting some gasket maker on there to help seal it up, otherwise I think your looking at replacing or resurfacing the head or manifold.

KArookie

Yeah I forgot. I will try to post a pic on photobucket. I just pulled the head to check the gasket and found that it doesn't match my cometic gasket. I used a stock head gasket and found that the one I had on there had all but 4 of the cooling ports blocked. Compared to my cometic which has ports in the gasket for all the coolent jackets in the block. I am thinking that it was the head gasket not allowing coolent to flow so the coolent was just forced out of the intake gasket.

shamdave
Car: 1986 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 z24 engine

Mine did the same thing when i changed the water pump I used a tube of barrs leak and it literally fixed it before my very eyes

KArookie

Yeah I would figure something would fix the leak but after 3 G's into this motor I shouldn't have to do something like that. Fully build motor should not have any leaks. The issue is not just a leak either. It is literally being forced out of the intake mani. I was thinking that the head gasket was not correct so when I pulled the head the gasket looked fine. I will replace it again but it is almost like there is a clog somewhere so the water pump is causeing too much pressure build up and so the pressure finds the path of least resistance and blows out the intake mani gasket. There is something causing this and I can't figure it out. Maybe a clogged heater hose or something not allowing the coolent to circulate properly.

KArookie

Ok so I changed the head gasket out, new intake mani gasket. After putting it all back together, I bled the cooling system and started it up, checked the cooling system again and then took the car for a drive. Just down to the corner and back and when I got back in the garage it was spitting out the intake again. I am so lost. The only thing I can think is that the thermostat is not opening and too much pressure is building up but I would think that the rad cap would leak first right? I font get it. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”