leak on front of engine

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
dhen
Car: MGA w/ CA18DET

I've got a leak like a BP oil spill on the front my engine. I'm 99% sure it's the cam seals, but is there anywhere else it could come from? There was oil all over the place so it was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from.

Thanks

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Are you sure it's at the front of the engine? Is it visibly leaking while idling from the front of the engine? Did you put silicone in the grooves of the camshaft bearing caps that secure the camshaft seals? Questions, Questions and more Questions ;)

dhen

It's definitely in the front and came all of the sudden. There was oil all over the inside of the front cover and on the ground. One of the seals was original and hard as a rock because I didn't have a replacement on hand and wanted to get it on the road for a test drive. (Yeah, I know that was dumb, but I didn't think it would leak like this.) I didn't use silicone.

New seals have been ordered. I was just wondering if there was another place it could leak because I have never seen an oil leak this bad from the front of the engine.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Only other thing could be a leaking oil pan, or a blown oil pump gasket.

dhen

Thanks. I'm just trying to keep my bases covered.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”