le28et

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
WideBodyCharlie
Car: 77 Datsun B210, 74 pl620, 98 Frontier, 94 Altima, Nissan Cube

where can i buy all the turbo pieces{from the headers to the downpipe} for a le28et? i just want some stock replacements. used as long as it works. i have the down pipe but i need the elbow header, turbo itself and the wastegate. basically the car came with no headers or turbo. i'm not sure what all goes there. i have the air filter. thanks guys, i have been seaching but having no luck.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

it might help to know better what your doing, si this a swap into an S30 or a conversion in and S130? first of all the engine is an L28ET and is a straight 6 and would use only one header (singular) and in stock it wouldn't have a header but a single cast exhaust manifold with a standard T3 flange, the turbo bolts to the manifold and the stock system used a very abrupt 90 degree downpipe with the O2 sensor which in and S30 chassis leaved little room for a turn in the exhaust pipe, the the stock turbo uses an internal wastegate with the actuator bolted to the housing,

from the air cleaner you would have an AFM then piped into the compressor inlet and in stock form the "J" pipe would take the compressed air from the compressor to the Throttle Body on the intake manifold (bolted directly above the exhaust manifold)

if your doing a conversion the best route is to get a complete donor car and not try and piece it together, it'sll be much easier and likely cheaper

WideBodyCharlie

sorry this is a stock motor. 83 280zx turbo. i bought it without the header/turbo. i have a downpipe and i just trying to stick a turbo and header in there to see what future problems this motor will have. it ran good till the turbo blew{what i was told } the owners took of turbo/headers to be repaired and never got back. so i think i just need the elbow and turbo but i really don't know. be a good start to getting it going again. thanks

evildky

are you putting the L28ET into an S30 (70-78) or an S130 (79-83)? if the turbo "blew" was the impeller damaged? did pieces of the impeller get sucked into the engine?

the stock cast exhaust manifolds are availavle and seem to be pretty easy to locate on ebay in the range of about $50, for a header there are a few people making custome unots expect $500-$1000

the stock turbo's seem pretty easy to come across as well, they are a standard T-3 with a .63 ar, if you dicide on a new turbo I suggest the T3O4E with the 57trim wheel (this is good for about 400 whp) as for the down pipe you can buy one piece SS that fits the S30 chassis from MSA for about $300 but it's mandrel bent and a huge improvement on the stock peice, or you can have a flange cut from steel and make you won downpipe from mandrel bends

when replacing the turbo the datsun exhaust housing is unique and will not interchange with other brands

WideBodyCharlie

i'm keeping the motor in the 1983. 500 for the header! man i can't do that. as for your question about when it blew, i don't know. i bought the car without the set-up. all i'm looking for is used pieces. but i am wondering what all goes in there. i see how the dowpipe go out and where the air come in though the front grill/filter. i have notheing "between" the air filter and downpipe. can i run some cheap header{no turbo} just to see if this motor is ok. it supposed to be in good shape but i want to run it a little before i yank it out and start spending real money and time building it. thanks guys, i am very new at Z cars but i love them.

sharjt
Car: '06 G35 Sedan 6MT
'83 Datsun 280zx turbo - RIP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

Check this out it might be what you want. i Just saw it and rememered this thread.

evildky

sharjt wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

Check this out it might be what you want. i Just saw it and rememered this thread.
that woul dbe an N/A header, widebody I think your missing the point, in the stock configuration and even in the 400 whp range, you can just use the stock cast exhaust manifold, a tubular header would replace this but at great expence and with minimal gain

as for the ait path, your air filter should have a pipe that leads to the AFM (air flow meter) from there it runs to the turbo inlet, the turbo outlet then goes into the stock "J" pipe which goesup to the throttlebody in the stock intake manifold which is bolted to the head

on the exhaust side you have a cast exhaust manifold bolted to the head and the turbo bolts to it, the down pipe of course connects to the outlet on the internal wastegate fo the turbo and then your exhaust hooks to the bottom of the down pipe

and lets not fotget you have an oil "T" under the oil pressure sensor and a hard oil line that goes around the back of the block and attaches to the top of the turbo with a banjo fitting, and a larger drain tube taht bolts to the bottom of the turbo with a small piece of high temop rubber of silicoln hose attaching it to the fitting in the side of the oil pan

when turbo'ing the L28 it is far easier to start with a complete donor (which I HIGHLY recomend) than it is to piece it together when you clearly do not understand what all the pieces do and where they go, are you sure they sold you a turbo car? I can't remember how the S130 vin codes read but ewither the 4th or 7'th character in the vin code should be the letter 'C" if you don't have a "C" you don't have a turbo car, also between the 1st and second spark plugs on the passanger side of the cylinderhead, there should say P90, if it says P79 or N47 someone lied to you

if however things are as they should be here is a stock turbo exhaust manifold, they tend to sell in the $35-$50 rangehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItemand here si a stock "J" pipe that would go from the compressor to the throttlebodyhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

WideBodyCharlie

THANKS EVIL! i still don't fully understand but i am going to study your post. thanks for breaking that down for me. to bad i don't have a computer at home, i could have bought that j pipe. someone got it for just a few bucks! i'll prob get that manifold. even though i got a lot to consider in the future. at 99 cents now.

evildky

if you want to spring for a new turbo this one will support a bit over 400 whp http://www.speedshopthagard.co....html and even if you wanted somethign stock or a bit more tame thats the guy to buy from I got mine from him, he knows turbo datsuns and sells new not rebuilts fr about whan most sell rebuilts for

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”