LCD Headrest installation

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Big Tone
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Hey guys! It's been a week or two since I've posted here. I've been really busy with school/work/family. I just bought two headrests with built in LCD monitors and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should install them myself or pay someone else to do it.

First, how do I get the back panel off of the seats? Are there screws somewhere, or are there clips?

Next, the headsets are designed to operate with a 12V system. The wiring that came with the headrests do not have fuses. Do I need to add them? Could I just tap into the power for the receiver?

My unit has only 1 video output. I was told on another site that there is some sort of video amp I can use that will allow me to connect more than one monitor without losing picture quality. Where can I find one?

Thanks in advance for the help. Whenever I get this done I'll be sure to post pics. I have two 8" LCDs preinstalled in replacement headrests.

brandonjustice93J30

this is one realm I do have experience with, since I went to Purdue for EE and I do all of my own installs.

I havent removed the backs of the seats so I cant tell you how to do that, but I'd run a fuse inline with those headrests. Just a safety item incase of a short. Find the max amperage thet they will pull, should tell in the manual in the specifications section. And then use a fuse accordingly. As far as tapping off of the headunit, it's possible however most of the time there's only a 10-15 amp fuse on the switched side. So....if the total pull from both headrests and the head unit are more than the factory fuse rating. You're gonna blow the fuse, if you dont upgrade it to a higher rating. You could run it directly to the battery, but you'd have to worry about shutting them off when you left the car...unless the headrests had a remote turn on lead along with power and ground. As far as splitting the video, before you go and drop a bunch of money on a video distribution amp, try an inexpensive Y-splitter and see how it looks. If you're good with how it looks then no need to spend anymore money.

But...if it doesnt look good to you then I can help you find some places for the distribution amp.

Big Tone

Thanks Brandon. I was able to figure out how to get the back panel off and got the screens installed. It was pretty easy! It took me about an hour to do everything. I had to go to circuit city and did exactly what you said and got a fuse so I don't have to worry about damaging the screens. I went with a 15 amp. The manual was completely useless. Here are a couple quick picks I took tonight when I got home. I'll try to take more tomorrow. This is the monitor behind the driver's side. If you have kids then you are probably familiar with Arthur. This shot was about a second too late to catch the teacher:

Here's the passenger side. Another Arthur pic. This is my son's favorite episode when they make music videos:

The color of the headrest isn't a perfect match, but it's close enough so you can hardly tell. When my son got in the car he was so excited!

I also confirmed that a navigation system can be connected to this unit. I was talking to a guy in the audio dept at Circuit City when I was buying the fuse holder and cables. He also told me I can get an HID conversion on the J for about $200!

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Its closer to 300 for a quality HID conversion kit.

Big Tone

I have some doubts about doing the HID conversion. We'll see, though. I want to get a nav system first. I just have to find one that's compatible.
Modified by Big Tone at 2:38 PM 4/13/2006

brandonjustice93J30

that's good it was a painless install. They look good as well.

wtf@ making me want to work some OT this weekend so I can get a few new toys, only knowing in reality if I get a bigger paycheck...I wont get to spend it...the fiance will. lmao

Big Tone

Trust me, I go through the same thing with my wife. I saved a couple bucks here and there. I found a seller on eBay with wireless headsets for $30! I don't know what quality they are, though. I need to do a little research. I found another guy selling a J30 spoiler for $60! I might be broke before the weekend!

Sarcastik
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30 (SOLD)
2008 Infiniti G37s

Dude I seen you hit me on cardomain. Those things look niiiiiiiiiiiice. At first I didn't know they were aftermarket headrests so the color match is pretty decent. But I am definitly envious of the size of those screens because 8 inches is ****ing enormous compared to my 5.6's man o man. Good job.

Big Tone

Thanks! I finally broke down and bought them. The install went pretty easy. I think this is pretty much it for interior mods unless I find a nav system compatible with my head unit. I found someone on eBay with an OEM spoiler so I'll be adding that when it comes in and that will most likely be it.

This has turned in to somewhat of an addiction for me, but it's theraputic, as well. The garage is probably the only place I can go where my wife won't nag me!

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

I got a question, how is it connected to the seat back though? do the headrest posts already line up or is there a way to adjust them? I am thinking about getting preinstalled on my next car cause I like the look.

Big Tone

Sarcastik wrote:I got a question, how is it connected to the seat back though? do the headrest posts already line up or is there a way to adjust them? I am thinking about getting preinstalled on my next car cause I like the look.
The posts are adjustable and go in exactly where the originals went. One wire extends through one of the posts and connects to another that exposes the audio, video, power and ground wires.

It was a pretty easy install, but I noticed over the weekend that one screen is brighter than the other. I attributed that to the fact that my receiver only has 1 video out wire and I used a splitter to connect the two screens. I just bought a video distribution amp from eBay today and will see how that works when I get it. If the problem isn't corrected I'll know there's something wrong with the screen and will send it back for a replacement.

Jesda

LOL, Dave Chappelle!!!!!!

Nice installation. Looks fantastic.

Big Tone

Thanks, but there's a problem! On my way to take my son to daycare this morning one of them started smoking! The screen is completely dark now. I'm going to contact the seller today and let them know so I can either have that one replaced, or send them both back for a refund.

If you noticed I haven't given the name of the company yet. I wanted to give it a little time to see how the screens performed and see what their customer service is like before I tell anyone about them. I'll report back when I hear from the seller. Hopefully there won't be any issues.

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

I also wanted to ask you if it was real leather or if you broke down and went with plastic. Sorry to hear about your screen man, but you seem like the type that does his homework and watches his back so everything should be fine.

Big Tone

I broke down and got the vinyl. After doing a little research I realized that almost all of the sellers on eBay selling preinstalled LCDs were selling the exact same screens. People selling screens in leather headrests wanted $500 more than the ones in vinyl. It wasn't worth it to me. I went with this seller because I knew if I had a problem I'd be able to get a full refund if need be and they are in Canada. The other sellers are in Hong Kong.

Now if the next unit I get goes bad, or if the other one does, they both will be going back for a full refund and I'll have to take my business elsewhere. When I contacted them they were cool, though. I just hate that I'm driving around with one damn headrest!

After thinking about how I did my installation, I decided to completely rewire everything to make it more accessable and to improve on the picture quality of the headrests. My head unit only has 1 video-out RCA and when I did the install I used a splitter to connect to the two TVs. I found a seller on eBay with video distribution amps that will convert 1 to 7 without diminishing the picture. When that comes in I'm going to redirect all the wires so the power, ground, video, audio, and the video amp will be under the passenger seat. This will give my HU more room to breathe and allow me access to the video amp and power without having to disconnect my HU every time. The HU has a coolant fan on it and I want to make sure it isn't obstructed by all the wires back there. It's getting a little crowded. I'll try to take pics of the work I do whenever the video amp comes in. The pics other people have posted about the work they've done has always been a huge help for me.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

You can always have them reupholstered with leather, should cost alot less than 500 too.

Sarcastik
2008 Infiniti G37s

smart think man! I have a dude who reapolsters my bike seats for me (I own lowriders) and this dude will reapolster a pair of pants if you let him and he will charge accordingly. If you search around you can find someone to do it for less than a 100 or so a headrest.

Big Tone

We'll see about getting them reupholstered with leather. I never thought of that. The vinyl ones actually aren't that bad, but I don't like the smell of them. If that doesn't wear off after a couple weeks I might have to make some changes.

Big Tone

OK, so after talking to the good ole people at MP3PlayerStore.com, enought people pissed me off and gave false and misleading information that I decided to take out the remaining headrest and wires and send it all back! In the process of doing so, I found a seller in Michigan with similar headrests but with a woodgrain-like frame around them that appear to match the woodgrain on the J. (See below). This set actually cost me LESS money and comes with more equipment. There's a portable DVD player included that I will probably sell. So if anyone is intersted let me know.

I forgot to take pics of the rewiring project, but I can take pics of the finished product today. It wasn't anything complicated at all. I just ran all the wires I need or might need in the future and placed them under the passenger seat. That way I won't have to keep disconnecting the head unit every time I make a change.

brandonjustice93J30

how much for the dvd player?

Big Tone

Let me take a look at it when I get it. I should have it Tuesday.

texalmighty
Car: 97 j30

who makes the set with the wood grain surround?

Big Tone

I don't know what company makes it because the person I bought mine from bought it from someone else. I do know that the screens are the exact same ones that were in the headrests I returned. The screens appear to be made by Sharp, though. If you go on eBay and look for 8" pre-installed LCDs you'll find they all are the same. Most of the sellers are in Hong Kong, with exception to the liars I bought my first set from, but even they get their supply from Hong Kong. If I get a chance tonight I'll post several auctions on eBay so you can see what I mean,

Big Tone

brandonjustice93J30 wrote:how much for the dvd player?
Ok, I got everything in today and it looks pretty good. Not so sure the color of these headrests will be as close a match as the ones I sent back, though. Anyway, Brandon, you asked how much I am willing to sell the portable DVD player for. I took a look at it and it looks pretty nice. The only drawback of it is it has a cigarette lighter power source, but that could probably be changed. I'm willing to sell it to you for $60 shipped. Let me know if you are intersted. I'll be going out of town on Wednesday, so if at all possible let me know if you want it so I can ship it before I leave. My PayPal address is [email protected]. I'll check back here before I leave for work and again when I get home from class tonight.

It's a Phoenix Digital PD-178 and I can confirm that it is in new condition. If you have any other questions about it let me know. Thanks.

Big Tone

I got the new headrests installed now and everything seems to be working great. These came with a video amp, too so I'm using it until the Valor unit comes in, which should be tomorrow. After that I'll probably sell the one I have. It's ok, but my impression is the Valor will give an even better picture.

It was a lot easier completing the install this time since I didn't have to disconnect the receiver like before. Having all the wires under the passenger seat is great! I'll try to get some pics taken tomorrow to post of the new headrests and the wiring job I did. I did a much better job of concealing this time, I think. Hiding wires is an addiction of mine!

Brandon (or anyone else for that matter), let me know what you want to do aboutthe portable DVD player. If you don't want it I will probably list it on eBay when I get back in town Sunday.

Big Tone

Ok! I'm back in town and took pictures of the new headrests and also the wiring job I did. Since I didn't get a response from anyone regarding the portable DVD player I listed it on eBay. I also have a video signal distribution amp I'm selling. Here's a link to the portable dvd player:http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Di...wItem

And here's the video amp:http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-...wItem

Onto the pics!First the wiring. The first pic shows the wires and Valor video amp under the passenger seat. The amp REALLY improves the picture quality, because my head unit only has 1 video out jack. All the wires looked messy until I got them bundled:Going....Going...Gone!Here's the new screens:As you can see the woodgrain-like material matches the dash!Side shot:I also bought covers for them for when I need to be a little less conspicuous:I just bought a spoiler! Anyone know how to install it?

Modified by Big Tone at 7:42 PM 4/30/2006
Modified by Big Tone at 7:44 PM 4/30/2006

brandonjustice93J30

looks nice...I would have bought that dvd player but been having some issues with the ex-fiance..or something like that she's still deciding things.

but I do like how those covers hide the lcd's I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get to do mine.

Big Tone

Don't worry about it! Sounds like you have much more important things to think about than the dvd player.

RussA89
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

Those look really nice, man.

Only problem is, I don't want my kids in my J any more than I have to...that's what the minivan's for!

Big Tone

RussA89 wrote:Those look really nice, man.

Only problem is, I don't want my kids in my J any more than I have to...that's what the minivan's for!
Thanks! I actually love having my son in the car with me. I just bought him a new car seat last night so he can really kick back and watch his favorite cartoons now! We don't have a minivan. My wife hates them so I made sure she got the "nicer" car so she won't want to drive mine. Keeping her out of the car is the key, but I do like to take a ride alone whenever I can.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”