Last ditch effort to save car

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Musclehead
Car: 95 Nissan Altima

It's a 95 with 127,000 miles on it, and had been running rough, and stalling. It's missing big time. Did a few of the basic checks I learned here, MAF, oil in cap, etc. Got it to the shop, they said codes 0340 cam position sensor and 0325 knock sensor and erratic spark, but plugs were good. They also found both CV boots split and leaking and it needs new serpentine belt. They also said sway bar links and bushings need replacing.They recommended a new distributor ($1000, they said it should be OEM) and another $800 to replace both axle shafts, and belt. I said I wasn't going to put that kind of money into the car (The valve cover gasket leaks, and large crack in windshield) figured I'd part it out. Now I kind of think I should have gotten more miles than this, should I put in an aftermarket distributor? Is it hard? I'll have to check out he Chiltons book from the library (They know me well). I can probably figure out the belt, not sure about the axles. Part of me wants to get rid of it, sick of always repairing it, but hate to give up. What if the distributor doesn't fix it. It died 6x on the way home, so it's here but I have to make a decision and decide how much I really want to put into it.

ezb57e

Put an aftermarket dist in it. They are easy.
Don't worry about the knock sensor or sway bar links for now
You should be able to do the axles for less than that.
Id leave it at that and start working on an exit strategy.
Good luck.

davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

you can just do the seal and get a used distributor for cheap
the other stuff can wait until you get some cash or something
but do not part it as it sounds like it is in way too good a condition for a parts yard

davidscheiber28
Car: Dad's: 1995 Nissan Altima GXE
Mine: to be determined

also don't forget to change the oil
btw a high mileage synthetic is great for the life of rubber parts

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Distributor has only 3 bolts. Move wires from the old one to the new o e one at a time so you don't mix them up, and mark the position so you so you can get the new one in the exact same place as the old distributor and won't have to set the timing.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”