L520 Datsun, mighty troubles

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
Rednecksharpshooter
Car: currently driving 1995 Ford Ranger

Just bought a 1966/67 Datsun pickup for my daughter. think i bit off more than i can chew. need a bit of advise on where i can find a new wiring harness. one on the truck has been spliced cut pulled twisted and painted. think my best bet would be to replace it all together. also there seems to be alot of play in the shifter of the 4 speed tranny,, how much trouble is it to replace the shifter forks. it has a 1300 on the side of the engine block. title says its a 1.3, not sure of the transmission.. any help would be a big help thanks..

srl311too

1300 means a 1.3 liter engine. Transmission slop can be fixed by putting shims in the pivot end of the shifter through the hole in the cab. Wiring? You could also ask here, http://forum.ratsun.net/. I think Tanna Bryant has some trucks to pull parts off. [email protected]

Rednecksharpshooter

thanks for the info. i give it a shot. also, wondering something.. the body styles on the L520 66/67 models all have 4 headlights that iv seen on the net and other areas. the one i have only has two, now the tag under the hood says 1966 L520. the title says 1967. last owner says it was due to shipping over seas in this time frame. when im looking for parts for this truck. should i be look for 1966 or 1967?

Charlie69
Car: 1966 Datsun 520

Hello Rednecksharpshooter,

I have a 66 520 with single headlights. On my tag under the hood it reads 1966. Years ago vehicles were titled by the first year registered. I would look for parts for either. Some pictures of your truck inside engine compartment, cab, and outside pictures all around will help us help you identify what parts are what. Who knows what might have been replaced.

Here is a link to my build thread. I need to up date the one on NICO.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=9371
Modified by Charlie69 at 4:06 PM 11/2/2009

Rednecksharpshooter

I was always told never buy the first hammer on the shelf when buying tools. there be a cheaper one on the next shelf. was out and about looking for parts from any place that may have parts for this 66 L520. found a 1975 620 for 300 bucks. engine seems to be locked up and the owner said only thing was wrong with it when it was parked was the carb. what im wondering is how much between these two trucks would be interchangable. really only thing i need for the 520 is a harness and maybe some minor transmission work. and maybe rebuild brakes. anyone know what i could change out between these? would transmisson bolt up? or rather the mounts how much different between these two trucks, if i where to do a engine tranny swap between the two.. would the wire harness be compatable? thanks for any info.. maybe i should be asking if i could use any parts from the 75 on the 66 would anyone be interested in buying any left over parts?

Rednecksharpshooter

Feeling a bit better about this project. Spent the last couple weeks rewiring the alt. and harness going to voltage regulator. all the wires in this area where dry and brittle, insulation cracked among other things. many splices have taken place under the hood. even pieces of old extension cords had been placed in the harness as jumpers over plugs that had burned wires. Started and tested repairs yesterday, after one grounding problem all seem to be working well now. its time to see what i can do with the wires under dash. Already have removed the dash and old radio, doesn't seem to be to much damage. But most of the rubber boots on the firewall have been removed or rotted away for the harness, and anything else. Do have a question about the E-brake. Leaver arm going through the firewall to the e-brake handle is missing.. not a chance finding a replacement.. anyone know where i can find the specs on this? i can make one if i knew the proper lenght... thanks

Charlie69

Hey rednecksharpshooter,

What is a E brake handle assembly worth to you?

I will be changing mine out to a 720 E-brake assembly.

As far as what fits from a 620 not much. Brake drums and small parts might be useable.

I putting in a 620 automatic trans and a L20B from a 76. By changing to the L20B from the J13 I double my hp. I am also setting up AC in my 66 520.

Take the wiring slow and step by step. Make sure your have a good motor, frame, & body grounds.

On the 620 sight near the bottom of the page is the 520 factory service manual pdf, 520 wiring pdf, and a 520, 521 factory parts manual pdf that you can download.

Here is the link save it in your favorites:

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

Is this your daughters first vehicle?

Modified by Charlie69 at 11:03 PM 10/31/2009

Modified by Charlie69 at 11:04 PM 10/31/2009
Modified by Charlie69 at 4:08 PM 11/2/2009

Rednecksharpshooter

thanks for all the info. seem to have hit a snag in the truck restore. yes this was daughters first ride, but she is no longer getting it. due to some things she has gotten her self into. i have d/l the info from the site you posted it will come in handy. but its going to be a while before i decide what to do with the truck. father is needing a truck to use once in a while for work reasons. it will probley go to him. but i dont think i will restoring it completely now. it will probley be drivable on the road and thats it. thanks to everyone for all the help.

Charlie69

Hi Rednecksharpshooter,

I hope eveything works outs for your daughter and your family.

I know when I was young I got into trouble and had no one that cared enough to help me get straightened out. My family turned their back on me and I ended up getting into more and worse trouble. I do not know if it would have made a difference or not but, I like to think it might have. If I had a family or friend that would have talked straight with me and just been there to talk with when the times got tough (I am talking about drugs, cocaine) I believe it would have helped.

I know that the worst thing that I have experienced in my life was having my family turn their backs on me.

Be there for your daughter please.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”