L320 Which alternator swap works?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
jimbar99
Car: 1965 L320 Pickup stock

I have read here and elsewhere about swapping my 65 L320 generator for an internally regulated alternator. Already converted it to negative ground, but I want to put halogen headlights on it and maybe a stereo, so upgrading the charging systems seems like a good idea. There is so much information out there it is hard to sift through it and come to some kind of conclusion.

I'm not altogether sure how many amps I will need but I'm thinking 60 or 70 minimum? I have a Denso 40 amp off of a Honda that's pretty small but I'm questioning whether 40 amps is going to be enough, and I don't want to go to all the work of installing it if it's not going to be adequate right out of the box.

If you have an L320 with an alternator, can you share which particular one it is, i.e. part number? I'm not concerned with how to wire it, or modifying brackets, etc. Just that it is a known to work combination. Then I can get one and go about installing it.

Any guidance from you experienced 320 owners would be welcomed. Thanks!

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

If you want to run halogens I would suggest something higher to be safe. But for that truck and its stock components the one you have is more than enough. Sorry I can't be of any other help really, though.

Return to “Datsun 320”