L20B Questions

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
MicroMachinery

Hey, thinkin' about hopping up a spare L20B I have laying around, but I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.

I'd like to put flat top pistons into it, and slap a ported A87 peanut head on. A little spicier cam, and my set of 42mm Mikunis would have to go on as well as a header.

I suppose my questions are:

What have YOU done or seen as far as flattop pistons in an L20B? Would it be worth the time/money?

Should I just look into getting a SSS grind cam? Or would the L20B cam be sufficient?

Do you think a dogleg 5-speed will be ok for this combination? Stock 4-speed?

Is this gonna be something that I'll want to drive around as a semi-daily?(Yes, I know that it won't get the fuel efficiency that a stock 1.6 does, but I have a bunch of those laying around if I don't like it)

Cool, thanks.

ravera
Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z

I really cant tell you the "streetable" flat-top's I've seen but that sounds like a healthy set-up. As far as cams, a pair of side-draft carbies will probably be even happier with a little warmer cam than an SSS, especially with the L20's displacement. The 5 speed should be fine, and streetability completely depends on how well you have those carbs tuned.

Papi Chulo
Car: 72' Datsun 510

An SSS cam is very similar to an L20 cam.

go after market, or custom grind

Return to “Datsun Chat”