L16 Datsun 1972 Distrubutor shaft @ 1/7 why?

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
picturearts
Car: 1972 Datsun Pickup 521

Hi All:
I had my crank pulley come loose and move forward (almost came off)(just bought truck with work done, guess they forgot to tite it) pushed it back and torqued. Truck would not start. (Truck was running fine before this incident.)

Moved dizzy shaft to all positions from 11/25 to 10/20 to 9/3 would run," puf puf puf" and backfire, but no power. Finally decided to go other way 12/6 and finally to 1/7 (also moved plug wire #1 one tower position {clockwise} so that it would be lined up to rotar at that position) And it fired right up and idles great, timing looks good (I don't have a pointer) but mark on pulley is where pointer should be about 5BTC

Any Ideas what is going on here? Much appreciated.

BTW, I cannot find the "_" mark on the cam plate so I cannot check the "V" of the cam sprocket to see if cam timing is good, where can this "_" be?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Sounds to me like something just got assembled a little wonky. Possibly just a little off, and thus the distributor has to compensate for it. If it runs, I'd say you're fine. Does it run completely properly?

picturearts

It runs fine, just worried one of the three woodruff keys may have dropped out maybe the dizzy drive gear one, dont really know if its possible as the shaft would hold gear in place even if pulley came loose and moved all the way forward

Thoughts, Thanx

picturearts

PEZi wrote:Sounds to me like something just got assembled a little wonky. Possibly just a little off, and thus the distributor has to compensate for it. If it runs, I'd say you're fine. Does it run completely properly?

It runs fine, just worried one of the woodruff keys may have dropped out causing the dizzy drive gear to be off or possibly move? dont know if this is possible as oil pump shaft would likely prevent gear from moving too far, as not the case with the crank pulley, concerns me why dizzy at 1/7

Thoughts thanx

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”