L.s.d

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ESPER

I was wondering whether or not my 240sx 95 se has the LSD or not. i know for a fact it doesnt have the ABS so i believe it wouldnt have the LSD. and if not where is the part located so i check and when i find one where to install it.

p.s. where can i find a "how to" on installing LSD ??

all HELP APPRECIATED THANKS!!

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

The VLSD is located in the rear differential housing. There are several ways to find out if you have it. Go to 240sx.org... in the FAQ section there is a write up on how to install a new differential. I believe there is a secton there that describes the best ways to determine whether or not you have VLSD. Under the History section there is information regarding options packages for the 95 and up 240's. I believe that the 95 SE came with ABS and VLSD together... or not at all. I have a 95 base model with VLSD, but no ABS. Sounds like yours might not have it if it's an SE.

The best way to find out about VLSD: The vehicle ID tag is stamped onto the firewall on the passenger side (under the hood) You will find an 18 digit code... the last letter will tell you if you have VLSD or not. I'll go look it up for you... hang on.

MaineExport

S14: Checking for LSD using Car's Model number

Find the car's identification plate on the firewall, passenger side.

Check digit 18 in the model # (not the VIN!).

For Feb '94 - July '95: A, C, or E, = LSD

F, or "-" = NO LSD

For July '95 - July '96: A, C, or F = LSD

B, D, or "-" = NO LSD

sorry.. that link is bunk, so I just copy/pasted the info from 240sx.org onto here... thanks Shawn!

boMex

Do a big burnout. If there is only one tire track you have no LSD, two strips of rubber; LSD.:D

MaineExport

HAhahahah.... you're totally right boMex!!! The problem is everybody here without VLSD swears that they have two tire tracks when they burn out... I've still yet to see it happen ;)

TommyyJ

what about for 97 and 98s? was vlsd optional? w/ abs vice versa??

MaineExport

From 96-98 it was an option seperate or together. Only on 95 SE's did they come together or not at all.

ESPER

so whats the difference between vlsd and LSD? and what about helical or torsten or something like that? is that ok for drifting/racing?

ESPER

MaineExport

Go to 240sx.org and find LSD under the FAQ heading. Should be a detailed write-up. Basically VLSD is Viscious Limited Slip Differential. It uses a liquid that heats and expands as output shafts spin independantly. As it expands it locks the output shafts together..

There are many different types of diff locking products on the market. Most are mechanical in nature. The aftermarket for nissan isn't all that big... but they can be found. Most of the aftermarket for locking diffs are in muscle car drag-racing, and off-road 4X4's. Personally I think the VLSD is a very unique and well designed differential.

MaineExport

ESPER wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...36372

thanks u guys!!
Yeah... that part is good!!! Especially if you have an s15 to put it in!!!!!

ESPER

the lsd i posted above is good no doubt. but will it fit and workk in my 95 s14? and how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

and is there any significant differences between these two?? this is very confusing since there are SOooO many LSD to choose from! if someone could point out the differences and what to get i WOULD BE THANKFUL BEYOND!!

THANKS for all your help you guys are ,making this much much more easier for me!!

TommyyJ

if im not mistaken, a helical limited slip works similiar to a viscous limited slip...if one wheel is *slippin* power is transfered to the other wheel...i may be wrong on this...please correct me if i am...

MaineExport

I believe helical lsd's work as you said.. one whel slips and power is transfered to the other.. but that isn't 100% certain. I am certain that the VLSD does not do this. With VLSD one wheel slips and BOTH become locked in and powered. I will look into the helical just to verify that is the case.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”