L.I., the 51st state?

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

bunch of stuff going around about us being the 51st state...heres an article from my school that explains some of it:

http://www.dowling.edu/news/news.php?eventid=437'

basically LI would be better off financially by seceding from new york

im not sure if this would include queens and kings counties (queens and brooklyn boroughs of nyc) or just nassau and suffolk counties, but either way itd be more populous than many states in the country, and land area wise itd be the smallest state by a hair, less than 100 sq miles under RI

i think its pretty interesting to think about it

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

That is interesting. They have talked about splitting Calif into 2 states, No. Cal and So. Cal. I'm not sure I agree with it in Ca. though. I wonder how they would arrange the stars on the flag. That might not be easy.

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

Interesting, but won't happen.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I would think it would be more likely to split Upstate NY from NYC.

I've heard the talk about Cali splitting up. I've heard rumor that Puerto Rico might be getting closer to statehood. I've heard that the Upper Peninsula of Michigan will join Wisconsin. I've heard rumor that North and South Dakota could join together to make one giant worthless state instead of two.

I think it's all crap.. it will be a long long time before any of our states change at all. Quebec is more likely to split from Canada than any of our state changes.

sensibleS13driver

I can't imagine there is that large discrepancy of interests between LI and the rest of NY. Or not nearly as large as LI would like to make it appear. East and West California or Super Dakota seem the most plausible to me.

aceof07
Car: 91 240sx

LOL. super Dakota

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

rn79870 wrote:They have talked about splitting Calif into 2 states, No. Cal and So. Cal. I'm not sure I agree with it in Ca. though.
If the nuts and the flakes each had their own state, maybe they would finally break off from the U.S. and form the Republica Popular de Kalifornia and get the hell off our lawn.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

sensibleS13driver wrote:I can't imagine there is that large discrepancy of interests between LI and the rest of NY. Or not nearly as large as LI would like to make it appear.
i think youd be surprised, for example LI has some of the highest property costs in US, while most of the rest of the state has around average for the rest of the country

its like the difference between rural midwest areas and the real expensive parts of socal, but within 50 miles instead of a few hundred or thousand

Return to “Politics Etc.”