KYB SR Special Installation Question

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Sanger
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45t

I just finished installing the KYB SR Special installation today on my 98 Q45 Touring.

The new struts are awesome. The ride is nice and firm. The car feels like a 7 series Bimmer.

The question I have is this:

There is a rattle / clinking sound from the front when going over rough road. :ohno:

Where / what is causing the noise? :confused:

Here is my thoughts - the front SR Special inserts were not the same as the OEM insert struts. The OEM has a shaft bushings in the cap where as the SR Special has the bushing in the strut insert and the cap did not have anything. Also, when I screwed on the SR Special Cap, the assembly was loose, so I added a smaller diameter O ring inside which which eliminated the play. But I am sure if there is still a vertical and/or lateral play.

My SR Special box had a hole, so I am wondering if there is any parts that got lost.

Also, the original strut insert look different from other OEM inserts. Are the 98 Touring inserts different from standard inserts?

So - any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Glad you liked them, I agree it make the car feel like a BMW. I didn't do the installation myself so I have no idea, I do remember my mechanic did some extra work to get them to work perfectly, but you shouldn't have any noises like that. Did you do the install yourself? Might need to get a good mechanic that knows McPherson struts to look at it for you. The 98 is no different than the 97 or any other non-electronic struts that I know of....

Sanger

Mechanic friend helped. The car was from Chicago so we had hard time with bolts.

the orginal insert did not look like the one on sale from e-bay. Not sure if the Touring had different inserts. Mine when removed looked like a unpainted stainless cylinder. Both housing was filled with oil.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-INF ... ccessories

Anymore comments?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

No there is nothing special about a 97-01 that does not have the electronic struts. I seem to remember that there was one or two other guys that did have an issue when doing their install and an extra washer or something was missing, you might have to do a re-check on the total installation to find what is making the noise. are you sure they are KYB SR Specials or OEM? where they blue or black?

Sanger

It has KYB SR Special marking on it in light blue color.

Here is what I took out -

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t126 ... 0-1421.jpg

thanks.

Da Dark Jedi
Car: 1997 Q45

Not wanting to step on this topic but can you give me a like to memoryfab. The one I used came up tires and wheels. I may need to purchase the KYB SR Special.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Da Dark Jedi wrote:Not wanting to step on this topic but can you give me a like to memoryfab. The one I used came up tires and wheels. I may need to purchase the KYB SR Special.
www.memoryfab.com

Call them.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

There website is now completely confusing, so you just need to call them as stated above.

ericnielsen
Car: 1999 Q45t

Would like to talk live (by phone, if possible) with anyone who has actually swapped out OEM adjustable struts with non-adjustable struts for a 99 Q45T (or other year 45T with identical mechanics).

Would like to talk with persons who have done the actual mechanical work. Might be your own car and you did your own work, or perhaps you can refer your mechanic, or maybe you are a mechanic who has done this for a customer's car.

I need to understand what is involved in the swap, any addition parts or kits required, any custom-fab work, special challenges, where you got the struts, etc.

My Infiniti-trained mechanic is going to do the work, but it is my money being spent, so I want to know in advance whether this is really a viable solution, or whether I will need to stick with OEM parts. I can be emailed at [email protected] or called at 920.246.2388.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

If you have a t or anniversary model, I would stick with OEM. Otherwise, the SR Specials are great if you can get the firmer springs like the very rare Eibach Sport. Be very wary of getting springs like the Tein for the Y33 as they never had the V8 and are too weak. The FGY33 (Cima and US 2nd gen Q45) is a different car when it comes to spring rates.

audiovisiony33
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

With my experience only possible cause that I can think of is.

There is a metal ring washer that came with the KYB SR needs to be installed at the bottom of the struts to space up the front struts since they are about 1/4" shorter than the OEM struts.

I taped the washer aligned to the bottom of the strut where there is a cup for it before I drop the strut in to the housing.

Then you should have enough thread to torque down the top cap to secure the KYB SR to the OEM housing from any vertical movement to make clunk noise.

I remember this very well because I didn't put the washer in the first place. :rotfl

2nd possible is missing bumper stop that makes clunk when the strut travel bottom out.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”