KYB Gas-a-just vs Excel - opinions / experience welcome

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

My ’01 2WD Path sometimes bottoms out with 3 passengers if I go too aggressively over a speed bump or hit a pot hole. That’s 3 passengers with nothing in the back other than factory installed trailer hitch for leverage.
Records show that all shocks were replaced at 64K (105K now) so 41K on existing. Existing rear shocks are KYB GR2’s (rear shocks are all I’m concerned with for the moment).
I’m torn between the KYB Gas-a-just and the Oem ride Excels. I don’t offroad, rarely carry much weight, and all city driving. My worry is that the Gas-a-just’s will be too stiff over every little defect in the road with only a driver, or, driver & passenger. In other words mini jars all the time instead of occasional bottom outs. Is this warranted or am I misunderstanding '25% stiffer’.
Previously I replaced original shocks on a V10 Ford with MonoMax’s figuring the jarring ride over every little thing (unloaded) was from worn out OEM’s - after installing Mono’s it was worse (!) lol.
At the same time if I’m over thinking it and missing out on a better ride the Gas-a-just would offer I would like to hear about it.
Cornfused.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I installed KYB gas-a-just shocks 8yrs ago (~60K miles) after installing a trailer hitch and a steel nerf bar rear bumper guard. The added dampening of these shocks is not harsh and my ride has felt much more stable on bumpy roads.

Phifross
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 A/T

What is the exact reference for this KYB shock absorber please?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

KYB part number KG4163.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

The most significant part of a shocks operation is rebound, not compression. They are not designed to operate as an auxiliary spring, the weight of a vehicle, such as a 4000+ pound truck easily overwhelms the compression of a shock. Not saying there will be zero effect, but not much and that's not what they're designed for.

There are numerous threads however about the springs being weak and bottoming out, you might search a bit on them. And don't discount old school low tech solutions such as spring spacers, both twist in and rubber spacers. I don't know that coil over shock booster springs are still available, but they were a big help on a light duty pickup of mine long ago.

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Anecdotally - I haven't noticed any significant difference in ride yet (G2's to Excels- same thing) though it was pretty good with only one passenger before. But I also haven't had an opportunity to put enough weight in the vehicle. I've attacked some speed bumps and no bottom outs yet with just me in the car. I think removing my complete tow hitch, just prior, possibly did the most.
When I removed the old shocks, out of curiosity, I compressed them downward (decent resistance) but they were both either too slow or stopped attempting to expand back up on their own. Not sure if a slow test like that really determines anything.
It's seems, in my case/weight, that new vario rate would raise the back up a bit. So I did wonder about 'spacers', if they make them to stiffen not raise, but didn't know if they were safe or not. If this is a viable effective option, to gain 'some' stiffness, I would give it a try.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

In case people didn't know what I was talking about with booster springs, it seems they do still exist.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/ri ... 1890?pos=4

If you want it a little higher, install them with the truck in the air. If you just want somewhat stiffer, install with it on the ground.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”