knocking wheel studs out

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
FUJIBAYASHI
Car: 1989 Silvia Qs

is there a safe way to do this? i need to replace the a couple of studs on my 720. im sure this could have been answered in another forum, but i have a 720 and would rather talk to other 720 owners about it.

i have one stud that needs to be replaced on the front driver side, disc brakes, easy enough to get the hub off. but the rears are drum brakes, and ive never dealt with drum brakes. is there a writeup somewhere on how to get the rear hubs off?

IMH

I just put an old lug nut on the stud in question and whack it with a hammer until it's off the splines, remove the lug nut and remove the stud. Put the new stud in place put the lug nut on it and tighten it which will pull it into place. There should be enough room so that you don't have to remove the hub.

FUJIBAYASHI

even for the rear hub? i will give that a try. thanks!

FUJIBAYASHI

f*** ME.

i hammered out the front stud with no problem.however, when trying to put the new stud in... it FELL INTO THE ROTOR............. i dont know how to explain it any better than that.

can someone point me to an FSM or explain how to get the hub off? getting the rotor off is the only way to get that stud out...

rodmod720
Car: 1982 datsun 720 king cab and 1974 ford maverick

if it's the front that it got stuck in then the procedure is:

1.use a screwdriver to pry off the hub dust cap.(gold dome in the middle)

2.remove cotter pin

3.remove adjusting cap

4.remove wheel bearing nut and washer

5.remove outer wheel bearing

6.remove the hub and rotor assembly

7. remove the bolts on the back of the rotor to the hub.

not very fun or the best design nissan/datsun has ever come up with. have fun with that annoying first part. it's usually stuck on pretty well

FUJIBAYASHI

what size socket do i need to get the axle nut off? or is that even necessary?

FUJIBAYASHI

actually, can i drive on 5 lugs?

i seriously do not have the time for this today... i thought it was going to be a simple procedure like was told to me, but it became a nightmare.

i will try again next sunday when i can start at dawn.

rodmod720
Car: 1982 datsun 720 king cab and 1974 ford maverick

you can drive on 5 it's not really all that big of a deal. i'm not really sure what size the nut is. it's been a while since i messed with it

MufflerBearings69
Car: 04 Desert Runner, 94 D21

big adjustable wrench works fine on that front nut...

and the rear stud- there is no "hub" youre going to remove unless this is in the wrong section... Take the drum off and smack the stud out as explained abvoe, then youll simply have to find out where you can slip the old stud out and the new stud in. Rotate the axle a little if ya need to (the part youre calling a hub) to make it easier to reach to get the stud in. Tighten as explained and go from there...

Sounds to me like you should find an experienced local friend to come show you some of this stuff- easier shown than explained!

Return to “Datsun 720”