Knock sensor relocation..

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
SlidewayZ32
Car: 1990 Z32 NA

What's up Nico.I'm wondering if anyone could tell me any relocation spots for the knock sensor on my '90 na z32..?

Ziggy1621
Car: '90 Z32 TT (Shibui)
'90 Z32 2+0 NA
'68 311 Roadster
2004 Rx330
2011 BMW 550i (TT)

It is not advisable to move the knock sensor. I know guys like to make it more accessible, but the fact is, if you put an OEM sensor and sub harness on it, you will not have to go back in for a long time. It is located in that spot to keep you safe, so don't move it ;)

SlidewayZ32

I know it's not the best thing to do,but it's a long story...And correct me if I'm wrong,but the top pulley for the timing belt is bolted on to the lower part under the intake manifold(Which the knock sensor is underneath)?I finished putting the front together as I changed the timing belt,but as I removed the top manifold,I realized I had that second layer to remove to get to the sensor.As I earlier said,I finished the belt job and the whole front is fully put together. :facepalm:

Ziggy1621
Car: '90 Z32 TT (Shibui)
'90 Z32 2+0 NA
'68 311 Roadster
2004 Rx330
2011 BMW 550i (TT)

Yes, it is under the lower intake, but you have to ask yourself, is the safety and health of your motor worth a few more hours ;)

RubyRed300ZX
Car: 1993 300zx Convertible

SlidewayZ32

Ziggy1621 wrote:Yes, it is under the lower intake, but you have to ask yourself, is the safety and health of your motor worth a few more hours ;)
You're right.I'm going to spend a couple more hours to knock it down right :dblthumb:

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Relocating it is quite popular until the ability to replace it back to the proper location is available. Most relocation kit's put it on the #6 cylinder which is the fist to detonate so it still is effective.

http://www.yugobernie.com/det_sensor.html

brightstar
Car: 2001 QX4
338,000 miles and counting !!

Does anyone know for sure that relocating the knock sensor works ?
I have a 2001 qx4 and the mechanic working the car BROKE the connector , I had the dredded water hose under the lower intake blow on me ,
I have a pigtail , BUT , I don't know which wire goes to which of the 2 terminal's (brown and white ? wires )
I have posted on the Pathfinder /QX4 forum but no responce anyone ??
HELP !!

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

brightstar wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 am
Does anyone know for sure that relocating the knock sensor works ?
I have a 2001 qx4 and the mechanic working the car BROKE the connector , I had the dredded water hose under the lower intake blow on me ,
I have a pigtail , BUT , I don't know which wire goes to which of the 2 terminal's (brown and white ? wires )
I have posted on the Pathfinder /QX4 forum but no responce anyone ??
HELP !!
Relocating the knock sensor as indicated works for the Z32 for the reason given, but that may not/probably does not apply for any other car. Only someone who has knowledge of your specific vehicle would know this, or possibly the info is available on a site where other deletes/mods are stored but of which I can't possibly know as I don't have a QX4...you'd have to search specifically for that.
Not sure about the QX4, but the Z32 area has a factory service manual on the site for such purposes. I'd look over the QX4 site for one as it would probably have the wiring diagrams you'd need...and perhaps not, as Nissan/Infiniti likes to use whatever wire colors they like at times and which makes wiring IMO an area I avoid like the plague.
Sorry I can't help more, but this type of issue is generally something either your mechanic should be able to deal with, and if not you need to search about yourself as indicated to hopefully find that info.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Do NOT try to move the knock sensor unless you have the ability to tell where else in the block the detonation will show up to pick it up the easiest. That weeds out 99.9% of all of us out there.

The sensor will be placed to pick up any engineering known problem cylinder easiest but that requirement is spread as well toward being able to read knock on all other cylinders. So you have just one that tends to knock first, what happens if you point the sensor at that one mainly and another one gets an injector lightly clogged to go lean and knocks but not picked up and then the engine tears up? The knock sensor is placed to get ALL of them covered as well as possible and moving it is not nearly so simple as one thinks, the block design due to bulkhead changes and differences in cross-section can shield certain areas from knock working the sensor as the metal needs to be able to 'ring' in the correct fashion needed to easily be read by the sensor. The average person has no way of determining that in the least, you need expensive test equipment to do something like that.

If there is a specific torque or tightening method used on a knock sensor even doing that slightly wrong can make one drop in sensitivity to knock vibrations.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”