Knock sensor issue

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Hey guys ,Ive been getting knock sensor timining retards usually after warm up.Started to think maybe the sensors were doing what they are supposed to.

On a side note I make water cooling assy's for high end PC's and keeping the heat exchanger clean is a big issue.Then it dawned on me to look at the front of my Radiator for blockage .HOLY TAMALE !!

I loosened the two top radiator supports and pushed it back far enough to see between the condensor and radiator ..I bet I had 20% blockage !!!

Just plasterd on to the front of the fins ..

Got a brush and wiped it all off and the temp gauge now is at least two ticks lower !!!

Just a FYI ..I bet i was getting a bit warm on these Dallas traffic jam dayz !!

gr8scott72
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

yodawill2000 wrote:Hey guys ,Ive been getting knock sensor timining retards usually after warm up.Started to think maybe the sensors were doing what they are supposed to.

On a side note I make water cooling assy's for high end PC's and keeping the heat exchanger clean is a big issue.Then it dawned on me to look at the front of my Radiator for blockage .HOLY TAMALE !!

I loosened the two top radiator supports and pushed it back far enough to see between the condensor and radiator ..I bet I had 20% blockage !!!

Just plasterd on to the front of the fins ..

Got a brush and wiped it all off and the temp gauge now is at least two ticks lower !!!

Just a FYI ..I bet i was getting a bit warm on these Dallas traffic jam dayz !!
So you're saying that you don't get any timing retard now that the radiator is clean?

yodawill2000

wont know for sure till the weather clears .All the real driving since has been in drizzle/rain ,but the day I cleaned it I drove for about 15 minutes on main street ..(90 degree's and dry)Then took it on a backroad and drove it like I stole it ..ZOOOM !!!A 40 minute drive in stop and go at 98 degree's is the real test .. what Im used too

yodawill2000

Nice hot ride home from work ,Ran great !!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”