Knock Sensor for 01 Frontier SE 2WD V-6 3.3 (not supercharged)

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
ts bales
Car: 2001 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 2 WD 3.3 V-6 shortbed

Who's got the best price on these?

What's the correct Nissan Part Number?

Are there sources for reliable used sensors?

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Contact your nearest local dealer for the number...but that number is only good for nissan parts computers so I am not sure what good the number is to you.

Knock sensors fail from being over heated! They are rated for a maximum of 150C [275F].......................a single overheat can begin the housing cracking process.Careful about buying junkyard or used units without a magnified examination for tiny hairline cracks and resistance check..................used is used and they have a limited operational life.he amount of work that goes into changing this pain in the butt is something you really only want to do once. A used sensor would increase the possibiliity of a failure and hainvg to do it again. ( PS on the 3.3L its under the intake manifold which means the whole 2 peice intake has to be removed in order to get at it.

The sensors are supposed to be available through the aftermarket and will run you about $140-180.00(usd) for a new one. Hard to beleive something so small is worth so much.

queenofegypt
Car: 2002 Nissan Frontier , 4X4, Longbed

Trying to uderstand why the estimate to replace a knock sensor (part listed as $154.00 online) is roughly $700! Engine light is on, but my truck runs fine. However did not pass inspection.

Has anyone out there had this done??

Thanks for your help!

queenofegypt
Car: 2002 Nissan Frontier , 4X4, Longbed

I'm in the same boat, just got rejected on inspection and was quoted $700 to repair the knock sensor by a Nissan dealership.

But by the sounds of it, this tiny part is buried in the bowels of the egine. Planned obselecence????

Big-Bird

My response to your query is to use NICO's Search Engine and look for items in the Nissan Trucks Forum with strings containing KNOCK in the body.

This will give you all the details you need.

Big-Bird

You were qouted correctly on the price.

The entire intake system has to be removed in order to access the knock sensor's location. There is quite a bit of work and gaskets that are required for this service.

glenn58x
Car: 2002 Nissan xterra 4x4 SE

I have a 2002 xterra SE and I just fail for the same P0328 Knock Senor 1 High Input. My engine light was not on and failing was a complete surprise.

I'm going to verify the code at Pep Boys and have them reset it to see if it comes back with the same error code.

I've been looking around for information and came across this:http://www.xterraownersclub.co...01042

Interesting...It looks like the Knock Sensor is a pretty common problem.

Big-Bird

The Knock sensor is a 'single trip' type sensor that does not cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. So you may clear the fault and it may not come back right away or even at all.

The knock sensor has been an electronc part on several Late-Model Nissan engines ( and several other manufacturers as well, that seems to cause a great deal of controversy over how effective it really is at it's intended function. Several Nissan mechanics and dealers have stated they have seen no change in vehicle fuel economy when a faulty knock sensor was changed. And there are just as many that say they have seen a change.

If a knock sensor is doing it job, it detects the pre-ignition and adjusts the timing accordingly to stop it. But why is your engine pinging to begin with?Fuel? Spark plugs? spark plug wires? cap rotor?...are these items in good condition? Is there perhaps some carbon ontop of a piston that stays hot enough to pre-ignite the air-fuel mixture before the spark plug can? I tend to ask more questions than I have answers but this is how we discover things to fix the goblin's under our hoods.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”