knife sharpening

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum

do you sharpen wet or dry?

wet
50%
dry
50%

Total votes: 2

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

seems to be pretty contested, one group claims you cannot actually "sharpen" a knife wet, you can only polish it. The other says trying to sharpen a knife dry will ruin the edge because the fluid carries the metal particles away from the edge as you draw the blade across the stone.

I don't really have any personal experience, all the knives I had were cheap and disposable. Now that I have a couple nice ones I'd like to keep maintained. My brother is obsessed with keeping all of his dozens of knives in razor-sharp condition and has always done this dry, but he got me a kit and a knife for my last birthday that included oil. Using the oil as directed, I can never quite get the edge as sharp as his knives are.

How did you learn to sharpen your knives?

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

I have always sharpened my knives dry

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I'm awful at sharpening knives, but if you want a good razor edge, take a strap to one. Thankfully, Kershaw sends out heir knives with razor edges from factory...I haven't cut much with my new Blur so it's good to go still.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”