Keyfob Recall 2019 Rogue Sport...Terrible Fix!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
turbotato
Car: 2020 Nissan Murano
2020 Nissan Rogue
2019 Nissan Rogue Sport

For those who have a Rogue or Rogue Sport that is impacted by the keyfob recall NTB23-068 where the "switchblade" style key fob supposedly folds on its own while in use...be aware that Nissan's "fix" is to lock the key permanently in the open position defeating the ability to fold the key! I was so ticked off when I picked up my car from the recall. If I had known this, I NEVER would have taken it in for the recall! What a $hit fix on Nissan's part! Completely unacceptable in my view! The only reason I took it in was that the recall notice said that if the keys were not repaired they would be disabled. I get they might want to do this as an interim fix for folks who have had issues with their keys folding...but for this to be the permanent fix is unacceptable to me. Virtually every manufacturer sells this style of key...how hard can it be to fix it right? Do better Nissan!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, it's a s#it show. Fortunately, you can undo the "fix" just by splitting the key case (or removing the setscrew if you had it done before the plastic insert was available). Just be aware of the hazard, if the key jackknifes while inserted and you hit it with your hand or knee, you can accidentally kill the ignition while underway. That's the underlying purpose of the recall. Assume the risk if you want to.

Jimmy9190
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm
Yep, it's a s#it show. Fortunately, you can undo the "fix" just by splitting the key case (or removing the setscrew if you had it done before the plastic insert was available). Just be aware of the hazard, if the key jackknifes while inserted and you hit it with your hand or knee, you can accidentally kill the ignition while underway. That's the underlying purpose of the recall. Assume the risk if you want to.
So, VStar, I would like to ask you about this fix. I have a 2018 Rogue and my wife has a 2014 Rogue. We got the key recall notice for both cars. Neither one has been to the dealer for the fix yet. Does this recall mean that if we don't go to Nissan for the fix that Nissan can somehow remotely disable all of our car keys and the car won't start? The way I understood the recall card is they just mean that any keys I don't bring in to get the recall fix will be disabled? The notice is kind of ambiguous the way it is written. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8", I have owned my Rogue 3 1/2 years and we bought hers brand new in 2014. In all that time neither one of us has ever accidentally hit or bumped the key or turned off the ignition while driving or had any other problems with the key. This was one recall we wanted to skip unless we had an actual problem with our keys. Now I am not so sure what to do.

Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, I wonder if the ambiguity isn't deliberate to try to scare people into having it done. The answer is no, Nissan can't disable your car. BUT, should the jackknife result in an accident and you skipped the recall, you'll be on your own legally. That's the only real ramification.

Jimmy9190
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

Thanks for the info VStar. We are going to leave well enough alone as far as this recall goes. If the keys have problems we will deal with it if/when it happens.

Thanks.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Just out of curiosity (since i dont have 1 of the recalled keys). If you take a Nissan to a dealer service department and hand off your key...will they take it upon themselves to "fix" your fob? or will they give you the option to turn down the recall?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The recall will show up in the system as incomplete, but to my knowledge you always have the option to not do a recall. The only upshot, if you don't have it done, is legal. If anything bad happens that's possibly recall-related, it's on you and not Nissan or the dealership.

Return to “Rogue Forum”