Key gets stuck in ignition

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Dazzla

Hey guys,

So when I turn off the car, the key refuses to turn all the way to the last position so that I can pull out the key. I have to either forcefully spin the entire key from top, to bottom and it may budge, or I've noticed that if I play with my gears that sometimes helps it come out too.

Whats going on? The second part seems freaky because the gears don't really have anything to do with the ignition do they? This is a 5spd swapped s14, it used to be auto. The problem has just begun happening in the past few days, I've had it 5-speed for a couple of months now...

mudvayne9790
Car: 240sx 93 Hatch

this happens to me but i have an s13 hatch. looks like someone tried breaking the steering coloum. anyways i usually have to pull on the trim around the ignition. Or turning the steering wheel also helps. on how to fix it i wouldnt know sorry hope this helps

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

I don't know if its the same on the s14 but try this:

- Pull the trim out of the ignition- Look around in there for some kind of switch, it won't really look like a toggle, but it will slide/click up and down-click that to the other position-If you have a button for the key(s13s do), press the button now-Key should come out

On automatic cars, there is a shift lock mechanism. The key will only come out if the car is in park. its possible that the shift lock box got unplugged. I don't know where that is on s14s but try to find it and see if its plugged in.

Dazzla

the thing is my car used to be an auto, its been converted to 5speed. and i have that fork thing around the shifter area, the one your suppose to remove when doing a 5speed swap... :S

they key does come out, its just i have to try like 5-6 times before it will turn all the way to the final position so that the key can come out. its just the ignition wont let the key turn all the way down, and yes someone did try to steal it a very long time ago

krash

yea thats why I was reffering to the shift lock thing. When you do the swap, the mechanism is still in place. So if that box isn't plugged in properly then it would be safe to say that the key wouldn't come out easily.

Try messing with the steering while its locked and turning the key back at the same time. It definitely sounds like a shift lock problem though

Dazzla

what if I remove this entire assembly thing?

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

You can try pushing that little button next to the key on the trim too.

Dazzla

S13Teddy wrote:You can try pushing that little button next to the key on the trim too.
Edit: That only works for auto and manual s13's and manual s14's. mine was originally auto. So I don't have that button lol
Modified by Dazzla at 11:42 PM 1/29/2010

Dazzla

What will happen if I remove this interlock cable? Will this fix my problem or will this make it so that I can't ever take out my key lol

krash

WEll unplug it and see if it works. If not, then jumper it and see if it works.

Tw1tCh_F0_5hIzZlE
Car: S13 CoUpE

my car is a conversion as well and had the same problem but i have a 13 but i unplugged the red wires connected to the ignittion and flipped down this little switch it looks like next to the button to take out you key normally(but you said u dont have one) and my key finallly came out

try unplugging the interlock and it should come out

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Weird my car was an auto and it came with a manual style key release.

Dazzla

Here's the thing guys, my key DOES come out. It's just it takes like a couple of minutes of me turning it up and down. It's not that it won't come out at all. That's why I'm confused lol

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Maybe it's just getting old. Things tend to wear out after repeated use for many years. Especially something like the lock cylinder. Think of how many times it's been used.

zenkistic
Car: 96 240 SE

in that case you could spray the key (or the lock) with wd-40 or use some graphite lubricant.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

It's probably the cylinder.

It's only about $80 to replace it if you get the column off yourself and bring it to a auto locksmith...

Return to “240sx General Discussion”