Key fob stopped working

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
SusanD
Car: 2005 350Z

Hi! I have an '05 350z and the other night my car alarm went crazy and I could not get it off. Finally did,but now that key fob won't work. Luckily I had a spare that does work. I replaced the battery in the original and it still won't work. Is there anything I can do to restore the original or do I have to take it to the dealer? Thank you!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi Susan, welcome to NICO Club!

Well, replacing the battery was my first idea. Those are the round batteries, so they can sometimes be inserted upside down. They also have a plastic sticker on one side and if you don't remove it, the battery won't work. Also, it is possible to buy a dead battery from a store. So, you can check your battery for voltage with a volt meter. Okay, so that's the simple mistake stuff you can double check real quick.

So, for the more complicated stuff, we'll use the Factory Service Manual (FSM). The information you want is in the BL chapter and here is a link to it in PDF format http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... pe/2005/bl. Looking at the table of contents, I think you'll need to review the Remote Keyless Entry System starting on page 62. The fact that you have a second FOB and it works, tells me your car is fine and your FOB is where the issue lies. Perhaps it just needs to be "re-linked" to the car. Page 83 simply says to replace the battery and test the FOB. Page 96 tells you how to use a special CAN computer to re-link your FOB. And, for the win, Page 98 tells you how to re-link your FOB with manual inputs (no special computer).

I suggest checking your battery installation and voltage. If it still doesn't work, then proceed to Page 98 and attempt the re-link procedure.

Oh, and please let us know how it goes, what worked or if you need further suggestions or instructions. :bigthumb:

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”