Key FOB not being detected

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mtlmonk
Car: 2016 Rogue SV + Tech Package

Hi,

Recently, our 2016 Rogue has had issues detecting our Key FOB. Door locks on the handle and also starter button would not recognize the keys. We tried replacing the batteries but still happening.

We have to manually unlock the doors. Same with the Start button, we have to press on the unlock button on the remote before we can start the car.

Any one had this issue before?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

mtlmonk wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:54 am
Hi,

Recently, our 2016 Rogue has had issues detecting our Key FOB. Door locks on the handle and also starter button would not recognize the keys. We tried replacing the batteries but still happening.

We have to manually unlock the doors. Same with the Start button, we have to press on the unlock button on the remote before we can start the car.

Any one had this issue before?
Q: Any one had this issue before?
A: Yes. And this is why we ask new people to SEARCH the forum BEFORE starting a new thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

That being said, you neglected to mention if this happens with both key fobs. Do you only have one key fob?

There are two principle reasons for this problem.
1) Defective key fob. While it should last longer than three years, any number of things could have happened to it that would kill it.
2) The key fob works but is no longer recognized by the BCM. The dealership would be your best bet for fixing this issue.

mtlmonk

I tried searching but Searching for "key" returned 0 results.

Yep, happens with both.

Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

mtlmonk wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 am
I tried searching but Searching for "key" returned 0 results.

Yep, happens with both.

Thanks
Well, this is embarrassing. As it turns out, our Search function is temporarily out of order. Sorry about that.

Earthwateruser
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I had the same problem (twice). You might want to do two things:

1 - If you aren't using a Duracell or Energizer battery, then buy a fresh one of those name brand batteries. Off brand CR2032s (and similar watch style batteries) can be wonky. Go wild and spend $5 on a battery. I kept replacing CR2032s from our Ikea battery stash and none of them would work in a remote fob. Go figure. Energizer works great though.

2 - Take some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and give all the metallic components inside the fob a bit of a wipe down. It's easy to get body oils on those components and the circuitry is super sensitive. (This was a last ditch effort I made before buying a new fob and having it programmed. I figured I had nothing left to lose. I also bent a few connectors in the fob to be sure they were connecting well after everything got snapped back together. Boom, problem solved.)

Good luck!

mtlmonk

Yes, I found out it was the battery. The el cheapo batteries from the dollar store won't cut it.

Energizer is what I went with (lithium)

DTASFAB

I've had better luck with Panasonic bought from ebay than Energizer. Never tried Duracell.

Return to “Rogue Forum”