Key Fob Help

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Bmuller
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV

I can't find any new info and/or any info before 2011, I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue SV and only have 1 key fob, I need to get 2 more key fobs (best price-place) and program them but getting conflicting info on the programming part, find a key and programmer (what people say) but then recheck part and it is not compatible, not sure if I have to take it to dealer or not :wtf2:

SHAYE13
Car: '13 Nissan Rogue
T32 Nissan Rogue OMG LOL

Do You have the smart key or regular?

Bmuller

Smart key

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Bmuller wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:33 pm
I can't find any new info and/or any info before 2011, I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue SV and only have 1 key fob, I need to get 2 more key fobs (best price-place) and program them but getting conflicting info on the programming part, find a key and programmer (what people say) but then recheck part and it is not compatible, not sure if I have to take it to dealer or not :wtf2:
:facepalm: You have a 2012, which is a 1st gen model. The fobs for the 2012 are the same as the 2011 and the 2013.

If you want it done right the first time, then yes it will have to be done at the dealership. There's an anti-theft chip in the key fob that your vehicle has to be programmed to accept, otherwise your engine will be immobilized if it's not done correctly.
"ONLY dealer's can register keys. It requires submitting a pin number from your body control module to nissan corperate to get a nissan anti theft code. Even then it requires a consult II or III scan tool to register the key. And I have seen it done, don't know how but people have bypassed the security system. But the system is hardwired into your engine control module and your body control module."

Bmuller

Thanks Rogue one, I have a locksmith that said $50 and stands by it, will see and Thanks again

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I just had to have two intelli-keys done. We lost the only key that we had. So I bought 2 off of eBay for $60 had the car towed to the dealer and they programmed both and cut the metal key part for a total of just over $80. $60 for programming and $10 each for cutting the two keys.

jweimar
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

I lost one of my 2012 Rogue keys. Dealer wants $140 for the key and $90 to program it. I thought i could program the key FOB and the cut ket would start the car. It's easy to program the FOB but the key is useless as it will only turn. It will not start the car. Do I really need to have the dealer program the key for $90? Isnt that kinds high!!!! the cut key (noted here $10) cost me $140 which is quit the gouge by itself.

Rogue Jarhead

The two fobs on eBay were $60. If your talking about the intelli key there is a metal key in the back of each fob. You move the little button on the back of the fob to release it. Th eBay keys come with an uncut key. The dealer I went to cut that key for $10 each and programmed booth fobs for $60. Total $80+ with tax added.

This dealer also said his Nissan key fobs were in the $140 range. He gave me a price of $440 + dollars for two key fobs from him cut and programmed. That's when I asked him if they programmed third party fobs. He said yes so, I ordered from eBay.

Rogue Jarhead

Interesting follow up to the key fob story. Both keys I had programmed at the dealer worked, however after getting in the vehicle we have had to hit the lock unlock button to “remind” the car that it needs to respond. Otherwise when you attempt to start the car you get a “key not recognized” message.

Well today I had to put a new battery (underhood) in the vehicle, the old one was original, 2011. The car seems to recognize the key every time now without doing the lock/unlock button dance. I attributed the “not recognized “ message to an inferior product since I bought the fobs from eBay and while that may be true it would seem at least part of the problem was a weakening car battery.

So I’m wondering what other electrical related problem might be associated with a weakening car battery, I see someone having problems with accelerator pedal input, these newer cars are very dependent on a properly functioning electrical system.

Rogue Jarhead

Looks like I was a bit premature in thinking a new car battery solved having to do the key fob thumb dance to enable the car to recognize the key. The car does recognize the key more often but certainly not every time like the original key.

Bottom line is the new car battery has helped, but about half the time the key is still not recognized until pressing the lock unlock button a couple of times.

Return to “Rogue Forum”