Keeping Stock Wheels

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
LetsGo
Car: 1990 300ZX NA 2+2

I posted another thread on here looking for advice on 17" wheels for my 90' 2+2. The more I read, the more undecided I become. Does anyone else just rock the stock wheels and tire size, and enjoy it?? Or has anyone kept the stock wheels and just gone with a wider tire - 245/45/16 or 245/50/16?

Woodnutz78
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT MT

I'm running stockers, and plan on keeping it that way for the foreseeable future (I got my TT in June '18). Maybe once I up the boost a little, I might want to increase the contact area, but that's really not on my radar right now. For stock wheels, and for me looking to keep an OEM look throughout the car, I think they look really good.

For the tire size you list, the 245/45/16 is the stock size for the rears and with the middle parameter being the aspect ratio, the 245/50/16 isn't wider, it's a taller sidewall. I can't speak to wider-than-spec tread, but the 245 looks to be just about a perfect fit/look. I'm sorry, I just saw you have an N/A, which does have the 225s in the rear. I don't know how easily the N/A can break the rear loose - with the 245s, my TT spins them at the top of 1st gear. For looks, I do think the 1" wider tire in the rear does add a nice touch - definitely worth it if you can find a good deal.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Lots of people with purist tendencies keep stockers, there is nothing wrong with stockers, Nissan actually put a lot of engineering into them (as in they serve a purpose if installed on the correct side), most do go after the staggered sets off TTs or uses TT rears on all 4 corners for a slightly meatier look. I would probably roll stockers if mine wasn't as modded (powerwise) as it is.

LetsGo

Thanks guys. I was thinking more and more about just putting a wider tire on the stock 7.5 wheels, specifically 245/45/16s, for a meatier look. But, looks like tire choices are so limited in that size, that idea may be out the window...

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

For me the issue is that the 1990 brake system components (27mm) are smaller than the later year (30mm) system, and the fact that IMO the brakes are the weak link with the Z32 once modded or driven spirited for it's daily duty which for me equals upgrade time. It would be a good move to upgrade the 1990 system to a '91 or later 30mm system, parts are easy to find and not ridiculuosly expensive and no wheel upsizing needed. Common brake upgrades (larger caliper/rotor) however do not fit within the stock wheel without spacers, but fit most 17's+ given correct offset. Since also in my opinion the Z32 benefits more than most cars from a stylish wheel upgrade, I have gone to GTR brakes/pads and 18" wheels with +20 offset which nets a stockish profile, but fits the necessary hardware and also works with my coilovers as they give the necessary adjustments for a low setup and the tires do not rub at the offset I have even with 255's up front and 275's at rear. The car sticks like mad, well, at least until I get too heavy with the Loud pedal anyway. The front does look too sunken in IMO, but I do have spacers for that which I have yet to install... :poke:
So that's why most people go for larger wheels- if you plan to use the car normally and not upgrade anything performance-wise, simply replacing pads with better compound and possibly also adding wider tires will net you a perfectly happy Z32.

LetsGo

Thanks - I had not yet read about the brake system upgrade post-1990. I will read up on that for sure.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”