Keep the Maxima or...240?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
keg tapper SE

Here's the deal, I want to havea boosted (turbo preferebly) car, there are turbo Maximas, but...it costs SO much to make it run right. But the outcome can create over 450hp.

I've got an auto Maxima, so....the 1st thing I'd HAVE to do is either build my auto tranny, or swap to 5spd. Both are gona cost around $2k.

I LOVE the 97 240sx body style, yet they are very rare. But, the 95, 96 model is also one I'd go for. If I got one, I'd plan on gettin a RB20DET or SR20DET (whats better??) - and havin that as my daily driver....(if I sold my Maxima).

What would you do?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

It depends if comfort and practicality are crucial or ultimate performance is your goal.

If pure performance is what you crave go with the 240 well sorted SR's approach 300 rwhp w/o having to go crazy on mods ( RB's higher potential but MUCH harder to install and usually more expensive too especially 25's and up).

For a balanced+ comfortable but quick car, the Maxima is a good choice, low 14's w/o forced induction is doable, with basic perf upgrades.

Fred...:)

keg tapper SE

If I keep my Maxima....I'm gona put air ride on it :D

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

what if you keep the 240? :)

nothingstoofast

i'd stick to the maxima if you like your creature comforts that you have now. but if you go for the 240 just go for it all including the engine swap. but other wise stick with the max. PalmerWMD is right.... you can really build up your max even if you dont want to go forced induction. unfortunetly i have a 90 se 5-speed and it takes a lot more to make these sleds go fast. i havn't tracked my car lately but i'm sure i've broken well into the 14's and nos is going on soon so maybe a 14 flat in 3 weeks ;).

phenryiv1
Car: 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV

PalmerWMD wrote:It depends if comfort and practicality are crucial or ultimate performance is your goal.

If pure performance is what you crave go with the 240 well sorted SR's approach 300 rwhp w/o having to go crazy on mods ( RB's higher potential but MUCH harder to install and usually more expensive too especially 25's and up).

For a balanced+ comfortable but quick car, the Maxima is a good choice, low 14's w/o forced induction is doable, with basic perf upgrades.

Fred...:)
I agree, BUT low 14s are NOT attainable with bolt-ons in an auto. There are guys in the high 13s NA, but they have all of the bolt-ons, lightweight rims, and are on a 5MT tranny.

Autos are lucky to be in the mid 14s, and that is rare, even with a full NA build.

5MTs are much more workable.

phenryiv1

nothingstoofast wrote:i'd stick to the maxima if you like your creature comforts that you have now. but if you go for the 240 just go for it all including the engine swap. but other wise stick with the max. PalmerWMD is right.... you can really build up your max even if you dont want to go forced induction. unfortunetly i have a 90 se 5-speed and it takes a lot more to make these sleds go fast. i havn't tracked my car lately but i'm sure i've broken well into the 14's and nos is going on soon so maybe a 14 flat in 3 weeks ;).

What mods do you have to be in the 14s w/o N2O?

phenryiv1

Your best bet for NA performance in a max would be:

-Y & B pipe-JWT EXU-Hybrid Intake (or Pop for 5MT, CAI for auto)-UD Pulleys-ME Variable Intake manifold-Level 10 tranny rebuild or 5MT swap-Some sort of LSD- Quafie first, then a Phantom grip or Canadian/infiniti VLSD if the Quafie is too $-10-13 lb. rims with lightweight tires or drag radials/slicks

nothingstoofast

dont forget i have a 3000 lb 90 maxima 5 speed. correct me if im wrong, especially since you have the infinity version your a bit heavier. but for my car i have a custom built ram air(built by me w/ scoop), center force clutchfindanza flywheelUDPmsd sci igition box with msd hvc coilfull warpspeed exhaust w/ y-pipe inc.unfortunetly ..... jet performance ECU instead of JWTdenso iridium spark plugs1.8 " drop with koni struts custom front/ rear strut bars (by me also)front/ rear ST swaybarsmotegi rims wrapped in toyo t1-s

i was 15 flat before i did the UDP and the ignition box. i havnt tracked it since then. but in the next few weeks i'll have nos and a big fat cam ;) . i'll track it with and w/o the nos and i'll see about posting a time slip

jdmfreak

phenryiv1 why do you prefer the CAI for the auto and the pop charger for the 5 speed?

phenryiv1

jdmfreak03 wrote:phenryiv1 why do you prefer the CAI for the auto and the pop charger for the 5 speed?

Pop helps with high-end power, whereas CAI is more for low-end. With the ability to wind a 5MT higher into the rev band, the pop works better on a 5mt than it does on an auto.

Conversely, with the auto staying lower in the rpm range, the CAI works better off of the line.

The hybrid pushes midrange output on either model.

jdmfreak

Does Injen make a short ram for the MAx.

phenryiv1

Injen makes a low-mount CAI.

most hybrids are functionally similar, whether they are name-brand or eBay. There is another thread on this somewhere, where I explained things a bit more and gave examples.

jdmfreak

Yea I knew about the CAI, but I was just wonderin if they made a short ram intake for the Max instead of just the CAI. Ive seen them before with the optional cold air extension, but Im not too sure about whether or not its available for the Max. I guess not though.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”