KA24E VS KA24de

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
mulletmrt
Car: Videography and Film

Howdy. I have a few questions. I have a hard time deciding what to do. I would like to hear some opinions on the pros and cons of swaping from a KA24E to a KA24DE. Should I go through all that time for just 10 extra hp? I know its DOHC and 16V( i think), but is the SOHC platfom just as good to do mods on? What about turbo applications? Would they both hold up at a regular 7psi boost? I'm sorry if thats a lot of questions, but I'm in the middle of the road and i'm have trouble agreeing to either. I just want my car to be a daily driver ad be able to run low 14s to mid 13s. Is that so much to ask? Thanks Mike

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Well nobody else responded so I'll give it a shot. First although the peak HP gain might be only 10, I haven'y seen the KA24E and KA24DE stock torque/HP curves on a graph but I'd imagine te DOHC gains in some other places besides peak. Also the DOHS has piston oil squirters like the SR series which greatly improves lubrication which is much needed in a turbo car. Also I think if you were to do headwork (valve porting, and cams) I think it is easier to make a higher flowing head that still able to have some toque with the DOHC engine. Some others might have differen (better :)) reasons why but I hope I helped.

jrc90240sx

I am sticking with the KAe, just because its what my car came with. If i ever swap i am going with a inline 6.

It really comes down to how much HP you want. If you want over 350rwhp i would go with the KA24de. anything else, either engine should be fine, with the KAde making just a little more power. there are more parts for the KAde, so thats a plus.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

There doesnt seem to me to be more parts for the DE! And some things on the SOHC are cheaper! Like cams, cam gears, valves, ect. But, if you are going NA, dropping 90 SOHC 8.6:1 pistons into a DE gives you a 11.1:1 compression ratio. Very cheaply too, since im paying $130 a piston for some forged 10.5:1 JE pistons. And ive read that the SOHC responds better to bolt ons.

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Sorry about mentioning turbo, I forgot I was on the all-motor forum :crazy

mulletmrt
Car: Videography and Film

Okay thanks, but what about the prices differenes to beef up the motors? Would I beable to get cams,pistons,rings for about the same price? Is one easier to build than another?

special_K

DE has squirter oil piston coolers

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”