Ka24e Turbo Plans

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Mlaurie69
Car: Jetskiing

Hi Guys....I'm new here....this site rocks :)

I've invested a bunch of time into a Turbo Project for my SOHC KA. I have gathered parts, and the winter is coming, so it's almsot time to get moving.

Here is what I have so far:

Ka24e - Re-buildingLog Style HeaderGarnet T3 With Internal WastgateFront Mount InterCoolerVortec FMU300Z Fuel Pump/FilterUpgraded ECUAir Piping and Oil Lines

So here is the question....Should I use a Blow of Valve....and where in the Air lines would it go....also is there a Best practice for placement of the MAS?

Is there anything I may have missed? in my plans.....

I'v though about changing the injecters over to something a little bigger...to help with the Gas...but thats all I can think of....this is my first project of this nature....so I'm hoping to get it right the first time.

Thanks,Mark

pancito
Car: CARS!!!

Good project, how much have you invested in everything? are all parts new or used some or what?

The only thing i can answer is the BOV, you can use it, but since the air that your letting out is not in the engine, and the fuel already was delivered, you will bog big time.

i know, i know if you don't understand search a lot of questions of this nature have came up in the past weeks.

We need to use a recirculation valve.

Mlaurie69

Thanks for the reply pancito. Some of this is new. THe Header I just finished having made. The turbo and IC are used but have been re-stored/rebuilt nicely.

The BOV is supposed to let back pressue from the throtle being closed, out of the system, instead of back into the turbo.....so you think this will case me to bog? Curious on why?

I'll do some digging on the re-circulation vavle as I have never hear of this....do you re-pipe pressre back into the system with this?

Cost so far has been minimal as I have collected most of this from other cars. I think the ECU has cost the most so far. I've collected for the last year......getting Married...and buying a house has cramped the turbo plans....but I'm back into it full time now.

Mark

SpeedingMonk
Car: drifting, nissans, and keeping all other cars behind me

i dont know products but i know princable...

cars needa good ratio of fuel/spark/air if u put a turbo on ur car there for cramming more air into the block u need to compansate for it u goit the right idea get the ECU dune u need ur car to know howto supply fuel to ur new turbo. but on that same note u do need to be able to supply more fuel. the 300z pump pushes 11 psi more good choice too make sure when thay upgrade ur ecu thay know bout that too. but u can still only fit soo much trough ur injectors so i ammagin it will help compansate a bit just not sure just how much (if enough)

but mind u if u put on a smaller turbo +D . u will be putting less than a larger turbo (needing even more fuel) but u will only need to put less fuel in the block (compaired to a larger turbo) hense... air fuelBig T : 20 / 10 (10 being stock)

Sml t : 15 / 10 (still stock)

u see what im saying i made up the #s but the idea applys.

PLUS smaller turbos... have smaller compressors ofcoures.. but cuz of that thay have smaller turbines meaning smaller amoutn of pressure is gunna be needed to spool ur turbo. choice is urs like i sayed i dont know #s but thats the idea

oh yea "log header" umm i assume its the intake header? but the word "log" would make me think thatys the shape but i imagin if its paralell w/ the block and the entrance of the header that it will not flow evenly to all cylanders. it could be desinged to internaly but i wouldnt think it is. if its perpandicular to the engine than i couls cee how it would help (assuming the entrance is on the opsite end so the air would flow stright into the engine w/ out turning.. id read up on it

does any 1 agree w/ me?

Daunttless

yeah, all the recirculation does is the blowoff shoots it out and then it follows the line right back in to the piping so as not to confuse the mafs sensor.

SpeedingMonk

when i ist started typing that i was the 1st reply +D

Mlaurie69

Cool so I will need a BOV....but I should Re-curculate pressue back into the system infront of the MAFS? Would this mean the MAFS should go on the Intake side of the Turbo Right after the Air filter.

As for Injecters....i'm thinking I need some newer better flowing ones. I'm also relying on the FMU to help raise the Fuel pressure.

As far as the Log header...I meant the exhaust header. It was custom made. It's a Flange with Piping welded to it. It's not an equal length one......They are harder to make...and fairly pricy. I think the log style one will work for now....if not...I may have to make the EQUAL Lenght one. With mine the Collecter mounts right ontop of the Piping....between Cylnder 2 & 3 where 1 & 4 are meeting them....SO just in the middle.

I attached A picture of it before it was welded together.

SpeedingMonk

what u doing for psi?

Mlaurie69

I was figuring on starting off with 6-8 PSI and tweak from there.....I'm not really sure what this will handle so......

A local performance shop suggested I get the car toed to them when I had it all ready and then let them tweek it on thier dyno.

ADAMHU

i am going to have some RC 310cc units come up for sale soon ..they are for my sohc motor, i am swapping them out for 756cc

adam
Mlaurie69 wrote:Cool so I will need a BOV....but I should Re-curculate pressue back into the system infront of the MAFS? Would this mean the MAFS should go on the Intake side of the Turbo Right after the Air filter.

As for Injecters....i'm thinking I need some newer better flowing ones. I'm also relying on the FMU to help raise the Fuel pressure.

As far as the Log header...I meant the exhaust header. It was custom made. It's a Flange with Piping welded to it. It's not an equal length one......They are harder to make...and fairly pricy. I think the log style one will work for now....if not...I may have to make the EQUAL Lenght one. With mine the Collecter mounts right ontop of the Piping....between Cylnder 2 & 3 where 1 & 4 are meeting them....SO just in the middle.

I attached A picture of it before it was welded together.

Mlaurie69

ADAMHU send me an E-mail about this....

[email protected]

Stock ones are 270CC are they not?

Mark

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

Mlaurie69 wrote:Stock ones are 270CC are they not?
i could be wrong, but i believe they're 260cc.

Mlaurie69

Thanks to all thous that replied....It is nice to be able to bounce my project plan off people who have been there....before I break something :)

I have attached a diagram of the Exhaust and Air piping system........

Does this look right? Does anybody feel there could be Improvments made on this?

ThanksMark

pancito
Car: CARS!!!

Well, i didn't know about this but read this thread:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....=2069

In a nut shell, you can vent to the atmosphere, you just have to move the MAF AFTER the BOV.

All the information is in there and read the complete links (including the name calling, *** whooping on Fresh alloy, LOL).

ahh and it's called "blow-through".

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

here are three umm options to show somethign u k inda forogt ;-) good diagram btw

option 1 is with a traditional maf.. with that you will have richness between shifts with a regular blowoff non recirced. richness is good, it cools off your piston tops :-) you may expereince stuttering however.

option 2 is a blow thru maf. this setup solves option 1s downfall. and if youre doing an sr swap and you go blow thru mafs since the beginning, you don have to lenghten the mafs wiring, HOA!!

option three eliminates the mafs entirely and goes speed density!!

HOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mlaurie69

Thanks for wraping this up nicely.......What are you suggesting far option 3????

If I were to eliminate the MAFS......would that be bad...since no info would be sent back to the ECU...or do I have to sub in a different system if I were to do this?

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

youd get sds (easiest) , haltech (middle) , or tec III( best hardest)

yuou can make within %5 of max power on any one pick the one you like the best.

im sure jwt could set you up something nice after about 2 or 3 send backs as well.

Mlaurie69

Cool.

Has anybody heard of "Shad Cams" in canada. I spoke to them last night and the tell me they can do a race cam, for turbo use on the SOHC for $225.00 canadain.

Just wondering if they know what they are

ADAMHU

yes shadbolt cams is a good place...did you speak to jeff,

i have one of his NA race cams...he does the cams for PDM

Mlaurie69

Really...he does the PDM stuff.....Cool.

Do you think his Turbo grind is legit.....he mentioned something about changing the duration where both the intake and Exhaust valves are open.

As for PDM....thos guys rock...but that is quite the mark up.....They charge 250 USD....Chad quoted me 225 CAN.......

Thats like 200.00+ Canadian in the difference.

Mark

ADAMHU

they can grind whatever profile you want...i would listen to thier suggestions since they are the experts..

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

mattback wrote:im sure jwt could set you up something nice after about 2 or 3 send backs as well.

What do you mean by this?? I am relying on JWT for the fuel enrichment for my turbo KA24E project. I don't like surprises. They have problems with their set-ups?

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

By the way.....I found out that with all I've done to build up my KA24E I just should have gone ahead and did an SR20DET swap. I'm gonna have like 7 grand invested in mine by the time I'm done. I'm gonna have one hell of a 4-banger, but it turns out the swap would have been cheaper, and much easier to do. Oh well, gonna turn some heads with this KA. :slap

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

Turbo_Nismo_EC wrote:I'm gonna have one hell of a 4-banger, but it turns out the swap would have been cheaper, and much easier to do.
wrong.

how many people ride around with stock SRs? by the time most people get done with their SR mods, they've spent just as much, or maybe even more than what you will have spent on your KA.

BinaryVertigo

mattback: "youd get sds (easiest) , haltech (middle) , or tec III( best hardest)"

what exactly is included in these stand alones....i want to learn more about them...so i guess i'll have to start some where...my impression is that they come with some sort of MAP sensor to measure air density, an ecu to control the injectors and some high cc injectors (550cc or something?)...could someone help me out? thanks

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”