KA24E rebuild parts questions. I need advice please :(

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
ScrapMetal
Car: 1999 Chevrolet S10, 1991 Ford Bronco 5.0

So I have a few questions regarding my engine rebuild but first a little history on the engine itself. The engine overheated and cylinder 4 was getting no cumbustion. I tore the motor down to the bare block and cylinders number 2 and 4 had the piston rings stuck to the piston. Also almost all the rod and crank bearings were down to the copper and there was a lot of black oily dirt in there.

I'm gonna replace the bearings, rings, gaskets and seals and I have the head in a machine shop. A buddy of mine told me to buy new pistons since the old pistons might be out of roundness due to the engine overheat. He also told me that I should have the blocks cylinder walls bored .20 over and the crank cut the same. Is this necessary? It would have me go way over budget. Can I just have the pistons checked for roundness at a machine shop?

Also, if I do end up having to buy pistons what are opinions on ebay pistons compared to lets say federal mogul pistons which is a reputable brand?

The goal of this build is a reliable dd, no drifting no track racing. Ill be buying parts soon so any advice will be appreciated.

Ill post up pics later since im on my phone.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Things are only necessary if parts are out of spec. You know if they are out of spec by measuring them, inspecting them, and having them magnafluxed to check for cracks. This stuff also costs money unless you can do them yourself or get a deal from a friend. KA24E pistons are from 80-100 dollars a set (with rings) on Ebay, so what is the better bargain? Also, truck KA's use press-fit wrist pins whereas 240sx KA's use full-floating wrist pins, so get the right pistons if you do.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”