KA24E/DE in a 240Z?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
SingleCamSam

Over here from the 240sx section. I've got a chance to get a nice rust-free 73 Z for a reasonable price, but the motor is shot. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a KA series motor swap, or if anyone makes mounts for such an application? :)

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

Why?

I'm a big fan of swapping into Zcars but this one makes no sense. Why pay extra money to go slower?

Open the hood and take a look. There is enough room in there for a family of migrant workers to live.

The KA motor would leave a two foot gap between the front of the motor and the radiator. It would look positively silly.

Think Ford or Chevy small block or a 280ZX Turbo

The 280ZX Turbo is a direct swap, all parts are available from Nissan, the after market, or straight from a doner car. You can pull 250hp from the motor with simple (and CHEAP) modifications.

SingleCamSam

Why? Because it can make about 350hp at the wheels with no internal upgrades. Because i know the motor inside and out. Because it's cheap to replace. Because you'll never find an L28 for a low price that you don't need to rebuild. And most importantly...Because i have 2 sitting in my garage right now lol.

I guess it was kind of pointless asking this. If they make a mount kit for an SR20DET i suppose it's not to hard to adapt it to a KA application.

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

Of the reasons you list, the last one makes the most sense.

Your biggest problem will be with the length of the engine. The attachment points for the motor mounts to the frame will be about even with your water pump. You will have to move them. This will cause problems with the strength of the frame rails. The frame rails are 2 inch U channels with the U facing down. Drilling holes in it dramaticly weakens it. I have seen far too many Zs driving around with broken frames. I would suggest having the frame rails replaced with 2 inch square tubing and once all of the welding is done, have them filled with SealFoam 60.

Take a look at <http://www.hybribz.com>. Those guys have done it all.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”