Ka24e and Ka24de block question

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
vqpwrd240
Car: 93 S13 and 97 Maxima

Are the 2 block the same? Would someone be able to use a 24e block with 24de head? I wanted to know if the short block parts are interchangeable. Let me know. Thanks.

Ferhan

S13CoupeLover
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

yes they r interchangeable. i was thinking about doing a DE head change to the E bottom there's a write up about it on this site. and there's alot of crap u have to do for the swap so i gave up on it and am going to try a Mikuni carb conversion + turbo. and also another thing about the swap it gives u alot of compression i think the dude said something like 10.1.1 +/- so i was thinking something like a inverted dome piston to lower the ratio. but to much. my pockets aint that deep hahah but he also said u get about 200+/- hp with the swap ratio. if so then wow that's like up there with the red top SR20DET.

here's the link zerothread?id=40742

Good Luck

number1trackstr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Notch Back

wuts the name of the site u find the info about the swap

S13CoupeLover
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

number1trackstr wrote:wuts the name of the site u find the info about the swap
um... nicoclub.com

i posted this topic once before and someone told me someone on here did it already and gave me the link to the guy who did it. it actually gives u 11.7:1 compression and also the images don't work any more. kinda sux but it's fairly easy if ur some what mechanically inclined. im learning but im not really there yet, i ask my dad for help or bounce my ideas off of him and he helps so im glad i have him to help me.

ka24dehybrid
Car: 92 nissan 240sx ka24e/de hybrid

I just complete my ka24e block with de head mod, there are alot of changes that need to be made if you use the de timing cover, one thing, the water jacket on the right of the block needs to be welded and moved about 1/4 inch to the left, and grind it down to open it up on the left. use the e lower chain tensioner, and trim a little off the lower cover at the bolt on the left. timing is very critical, make sure you have the gears timed right or the flat pistons will hit the valves. after its all together, it is a runner. if you have any questions let me know.

Bigvinnie
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier desert Runner, 2014 Nissan Titan

ka24dehybrid wrote:I just complete my ka24e block with de head mod, there are alot of changes that need to be made if you use the de timing cover, one thing, the water jacket on the right of the block needs to be welded and moved about 1/4 inch to the left, and grind it down to open it up on the left. use the e lower chain tensioner, and trim a little off the lower cover at the bolt on the left. timing is very critical, make sure you have the gears timed right or the flat pistons will hit the valves. after its all together, it is a runner. if you have any questions let me know.
Why not just source the de truck head, timing chain and upper cover, and then modify, cut the upper portion of the sohc cover to fit the truck de upper timing chain cover. Saves alot of work. Its been pointed out in numerous forums that the 240sx upper timing chain cover is a nuisance not only because it uses a dual row timing chain which bumps out the upper timing chain cover but as well has conflicting issues with lower cover assemblies for L series/napsz/ka24e whihc all used single row timing chains. It is easier to resolve the water jacket issue by sticking with the sohc lower cover and using the the E oil pump. Secondly you would have to us the DE crank shaft for the de lower timing chain cover because there is a gear on the snout of the de crank that spins the oil pump that is built into the de lower cover.

The parts you need to build a hybrid is a truck ka24de head, truck ka24de upper cover, truck ka24de upper chain, truck ka24de upper tensioner truck ka24de cam gears, and center gear, You also need a lower chain fabricated to fit the crank gear to the center gear.For the ecu you would need the truck de distributor. Slight modifying of the sohc timing chain cover and your done. I don't see this as being hard althoguh very time consuming and finding a right length chain to source is hard to find, unless you get a hold of gabe.z at hybrid ka.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Bigvinnie wrote:Why not just source the de truck head, timing chain and upper cover,
Truck parts aren't JDM. :ohno:

Also, I could have sworn my 1986.5 z24i had a dual row chain.

Bigvinnie
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier desert Runner, 2014 Nissan Titan

seang wrote:
Bigvinnie wrote:Why not just source the de truck head, timing chain and upper cover,
Truck parts aren't JDM. :ohno:

Theres no difference in the engineering accept a 240sx ka24de head will not work without heavy modifying. First because of oil pump design, secondly the distributor cas for the 240sx is located on the head. The distributor dizzy/cas for ka24e, and de trucks is located on the lower timing chain cover/engine block. 240sxde cams are a direct drop in for ka24de truck heads so I don't see how the implication of being JDM or not makes it any different other than the slightly lower CR that the truck head offers.
seang wrote:Also, I could have sworn my 1986.5 z24i had a dual row chain.
I believe you are correct I havent owened a z24i for over 7 years but last I recall it did have dual row timing chain. However the bolt patern configuration for z24i and ka24e timing chain covers are different, even the oil pan bolt pattern uses less bolts which the z24i was well known for oil leaks.

Firephil
Car: 240sx

This is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

Is there a downside to using a DE block with a SOHC head? Compression ratio? Looking for a short block for my 24e since I have a rod knock.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”