Ka24de with z31 T3 Questions?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
ShouldaHadaV8
Car: 92 hatchback 240sx, j30 diff, TIEN tie-rods

KA with 108K miles and replaced all sensors , oem wiring harnesses , OEM clutch ( temporary),and all the small things, it runs great
I recently sold my spare blacktop sr20det motor and kept the 370cc inj.'s and bought a recently rebuilt t3 from a z31, I've heard mixed emotions about them, but I hear thery're good in comparison to the t28/t25. This turbo has some strange vacuum lines , and the 7 bolt flange on the exhaust side. I know its oil and water cooled, but Im not sure about wastegate posibilities because i've seen them with wastegate actuator arms and mine doesn't have one.
I cant find all too much information about whats required for it to work, I just know it will work because its been done plenty of times .beside this will be my first turbocharging of a N/A motor so please bear with my ignorance of turbo tech im only 22yrs old.
Im going to buy a JWT tuned ecu for 370's and stock MAF soon from a friend and start the pipng , oil lines , etc, etc, etc. Any previous experience with this set-up would be greatful. Wish me luck :bigthumb: heres some pics of this kind of turbo ( not mine personally ) mine has no wastegate actuator/ pressure regulator.

And heres MINE
Last edited by ShouldaHadaV8 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverlift

lol I had one I was going to use but it was entirely too coked to use, I cleaned it out and tried it but it smoked like a train.

You need to check out garrett turbo 101, and get familiar with how turbo chargers work.

Its pretty simple, those flanges, one large and one small are for oil, small is feed and large is drain. You must clock the turbo in order for it to work as the z31 was originally setup as a bottom mount unit.Unless it was already on a ka top mounted?

The same sized ports are for the water lines(optional) I cant recall off the top of my head but I think a standard 5bolt flange works for the 7 bolt.
IMHO get an external wastegate, but you could use the internal and be fine, I did on and off.
I think I have a spare wastegate can, hit me up on .net

chillmieste
Car: 97 240sx KA-T

i dont see the stock wastegate on ur turbo, it was prolly setup for external priviously. I agree with neverlift external is the way to go. Ive seen way to many stock wastegates get rusted closed then u overboost! dont need to blow ur motor. its a nice turbo though

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

When I was reading about the Z31 turbo years ago, the toughest thing was finding an outlet flange. A regular 5 bolt flange wont work. But it looks like you already have a flange to use for your downpipe.

ShouldaHadaV8
Car: 92 hatchback 240sx, j30 diff, TIEN tie-rods

I looked into the 7 bolt flange thing , I the one I got with it has some bad welds. But new ones are $30
http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php.
. Im just going to keep saving up parts,I have to buy the oil and coolant and vac. parts, gauges, IC+ piping,wastegate, BOV, and rrfpr. I have an extra oil pan I can cut for the oil bung also. it shouldn't cost too much to do eveything, lets see. Atleast I already Upgraded the walbro 255 fp lol.

neverlift

hey man just hit me up if you need any advice.
Oh and another shameless plug for myself, I have an fmu laying around 100obo, its got a 7:1 disc in it and has been rebuilt and used by me.

coolant lines are an optional thing get a turbo timer or just drive easy the last few minutes before you stop.. I have a tt and barely use it. Be patient and make sure your car runs great n/a and you will be much happier when you boost.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”