ka24de w/ ka24e pistons

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
driftersilvia240sx
Car: 350z (business car)
240sx (rb25)
civic eg (winter beater)

What do you guys suggest as far what i should go with pcm...
Jwt???
Ive had a High compression ka loved it...and it had a jwt pcm with a safc to fine tune it
But ive never personally delt with jwt how hard are they to deal with???
Or would you go with someone else
Or can the stock pcm work with sohc pistons in dohc??? without any modifications???

driftersilvia240sx
Car: 350z (business car)
240sx (rb25)
civic eg (winter beater)

no one :/

stanzabonanza
Car: '91 Stanza XE

It seems quiet around here. I don't know much about doing this, but I would say try it, run primo gas and install some sort of knock monitor. If you can knock the timing back a few degrees to be safe.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Yea, you mostly need timing control with high compression. The volume of the engine is the same, so the fuel requirements won't change all that much. The SAFC won't help you with timing. Really the only way to have full control of the timing is a rom tuner, or some sort of daughterboard setup. You can all pull back the stock timing, but that kind of negates the high compression. There are also active knock control piggy back systems that will pull timing back for you if there is knock.

conway240
Car: '95 240sx

I just did a whole rebuild of a motor with the KAE pistons and JWT S1 cams. Fuel/timing wise, it has stock injectors, stock computer, and timing set at 20 degrees. I run 93 octane all the time and have no issues. Plus, the AFRs stay around the mid-14s at cruising and drop into the 12s at WOT. Feel free to ask any questions you've got!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Noticeable increase in power?

conway240

Slightly, but not huge. The torque increase is noticeable, but the weight of the cast pistons inhibits the power increase a bit in the higher rpm. Honestly, I'd recommend saving up and buying a set of JE high-comp pistons. The only reason I did the KA-E pistons was trying to keep the whole motor on a budget (and that I did, the whole motor ended up costing 3k).

conway240

Reviving an old thread, I know.....but here's an update. I just switched out my custom exhaust for the Tomei Expreme system, and holy cow. The timing had to be retarded a few degrees so it could rev without blowing out the spark (base timing is at 12* BTDC now). While it used to pull solidly throughout the RPM range, it now pulls the same in low RPM and really wants to go above 4k. So yeah, I guess it goes without saying....let the big cams breathe! I've yet to get a real dyno run because I'm waiting for a JWT ECU so I can get the 7200 RPM redline. Once I get that in (2-3 weeks), I'll try to put up all the build specs with a dyno graph.

Bigvinnie
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier desert Runner, 2014 Nissan Titan

Stock ecu with SAFC, and N60 MAF has always been fine for me.
Stock OEM tune is good, its a safety tune. You can have high compression and no matter what the knock sensor will retard the timing for you.
If you optimize for your fuel to reduce knock then of course higher octanes would be better, hence better performance and in some instances improved efficiency.

duece_ka24de
Car: 91 pure stock ka24de 240sx coupe-red
93 hotcammed ka24de 240sx coupe-white

so you have to pull back the timing a bit wit e pistons?

conway240

In simplest terms, yes. Any time you increase the compression ratio (either static or dynamic), you're also increasing the expansion ratio. As the expansion ratio increases, you don't have to have the ignition point advanced as far to make full use of the power stroke. By no means am I an expert in the field, so anybody with more knowledge can feel free to elaborate (or correct).

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”