ka24de vs. ka24det - Round II

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Water temps play a very important roll in fuel and ignition mapping. IIRC, Cadillac runs AFRs of 10:1 when it's under a high load and hot temps.

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Fixed my cts issue, still running like crap though, around 11:1 afrs. If I unplug the #2 plug wire nothing happens, it runs the same. I know it's getting spark though and the injector is clicking, so it seems like it should be working. Tomorrow I'll check the dizzy to make sure I'm not off a tooth (timing light shows it right around 20 degrees so not sure how far off I could be), pull the rail and prime it to see if it leaks, and replace my mafs and ignition coil to see if either of those are bad.

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

Chris28 wrote:Fixed my cts issue, still running like crap though, around 11:1 afrs. If I unplug the #2 plug wire nothing happens, it runs the same. I know it's getting spark though and the injector is clicking, so it seems like it should be working. Tomorrow I'll check the dizzy to make sure I'm not off a tooth (timing light shows it right around 20 degrees so not sure how far off I could be), pull the rail and prime it to see if it leaks, and replace my mafs and ignition coil to see if either of those are bad.
When my car was off a tooth (retarded) it ran like utter crap, and could open the wastegate from a stand still lol. I couldn't drive the car at all like that, well not more than 10mph anyway..

Chris28

Timing is dead on at 20 though. Granted it's idling at around 1000rpm, but it's not like the timing is way off. I can move the distributor throughout it's entire motion range and it doesn't have too much of an effect on how it runs. I'm about to make a thread in 240 general chat so I can get some other opinions. I have an HPDE next weekend that I kind of need my car running for.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Chris28 wrote:Timing is dead on at 20 though. Granted it's idling at around 1000rpm, but it's not like the timing is way off. I can move the distributor throughout it's entire motion range and it doesn't have too much of an effect on how it runs. I'm about to make a thread in 240 general chat so I can get some other opinions. I have an HPDE next weekend that I kind of need my car running for.
Honestly I feel like you're better off just talking to these guys lol... I always ask my questions here in the s*** thread :rotfl

Going by the KISS principal. You know how we nerds like to make things more complicated than they actually are... Just go back to your basics, Fuel, Fire, Timing, Compression. You're confident about timing, good. One down. Are you certain you're getting a spark on #2? You said you can unplug the #2 wire and nothing changes. 90% No spark, are you CONFIDENT the spark plug is firing? Could be a bad plug, it happens. 8% No fuel, are you CONFIDENT the injector is firing? There are four of them and they all click together... lol. 2% bad compression, bent valve or the like. But based on your track record I wouldn't take you for someone who would bend a valve putting a KA together (unlike myself :gapteeth: ) You know how these things go, its always the simple things we overlook, so sit back, think it over, have a beer, and then approach it with the basics in mind.

mechanicalmoron

I know you're the big kids and all, who have like, actually seen inside your motors....

But you have a bad injector O-ring.

It's dumping fuel line pressure liquid gas, as well as squirting properly. replace with a new one, make sure it's a courtesyparts or similar genuine nissan part, the generic one I got was too small. Make sure you grease it with plenty of vaseline or dialectric or something clean like that before you put it in or it will tear, and make sure there's no parts of the old ring left in there in the grove before you stick the new one in (stick a pinky in there or something).

Also, you have gas in your oil. Smell your dipstick :naughty:

Chris28

I've replaced all the o-rings, even pulled the rail and primed it to make sure none of the injectors were leaking. I know I have gas in my oil, I'm about to drain it before I pull the front covers to verify mechanical timing.

There's been a new development with the cylinder #2 thing, turns out I can pull any combination of 2 plug wires and it will continue to run the same. Same goes for injector clips, as long as there are at least 2 plugged in it will continue running the exact same. It stumbles for a second, but then goes back to it's rough rich idle.

I put a new harness and a new ignition coil on, same symptoms. At this point I think it has to be mechanical, maybe the lower chain jumped a tooth when it was tensioned.

mechanicalmoron

Oh well, was worth a try. Injector O-rings love to do that on this motor. Or even, in my case, leak intermittantly.

Does sound like it must be mechanical timing, at that point.

Chris28

That'll do it. Both cams were off a tooth. Good thing I took both covers off before seeing it.

Razi
Car: Moo

Good thing you didn't smoosh your valves!

Chris28

I know! I wonder if the 9:0 pistons have more valve clearance.

BTW, I shipped the cables last Thursday, they said they should be there mid week.

Razi

Sweetness.
Btw, you're running a Cosworth headgasket right? Are you bored more than stock?
The Cosworth headgasket says 90.5mm bore, so I'm not sure if it's okay to use one on a stock bore or if I have to bore it out to 90.5, which seems like a lot.

Chris28

Yep, Cossie had gasket. I'm bored .02" over, so nowhere near 90.5. I asked around, seems like the general consensus was that you don't have to worry about bore size. As long as the gasket isn't smaller anyways haha.

Can't really comment on how the gasket is holding up, the rtv is still drying so I haven't actually driven it with the timing fixed yet. I drove it down the street with the whack timing and somehow managed to get to 10 psi, no white smoke so I guess it's holding haha.

Razi

Haha, sweet.
When rebuild the KA, I wanted to go with a Cosworth gasket.

Chris28

Hell yeah it runs!

Razi

Niiice!

Chris28

Still tries to idle at 10.0 though, not sure why. I haven't verified timing with a timing light yet, but not sure how many degrees off could make it run that rich. It's also leaking oil from all over the pan, mainly because I had to pull the pan with the engine in the car and couldn't really clean off the block.

Chris28

Anddddd my turbo is dead. Loads of shaft play, wheels are hitting housings, etc. Possibly caused by overboosting when the wastegate line fell off. Other than that it was running great. I might be done for a while, pretty bummed out with the s13.

Razi

Damn. :(

WDRacing

Damn man, sorry to hear. For the record, I rotated my dizzy from stop to stop while watching the wideband. I only got maybe a 1 point change. Do you have an oil leak from the turbo? Even a little will really f up the afr signal.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

It makes you feel better my window motor is dead on my G35.

Chris28

Na turbo wasn't leaking at all, probably around 1,000 miles on it. Never smoked once, and I've never had any oil in my charge piping.

I think the ecu finally figured out what was going on, on my way back from class afr's were fine. Stock o2 started going back and forth between lean and rich, just like normal.

Got the turbo off and looked at it, the indexing marks on the compressor wheel and nut don't match up so I guess the nut started to back off. Precision has a warranty on manufacture defects, hopefully this is covered.

Razi

Damn that sucks.
They better cover it. Having the nut should never back off.
Btw, I got the cables. Thanks dude!

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Chris28 wrote:Anddddd my turbo is dead. Loads of shaft play, wheels are hitting housings, etc. Possibly caused by overboosting when the wastegate line fell off. Other than that it was running great. I might be done for a while, pretty bummed out with the s13.
As much a** busting as you have been doing on your car, it might not be a bad idea just to step away from it for a while.

Chris28

Yeah, I probably should. I'm doing an HPDE this weekend though, I've been prepping for it literally all summer so I can't really just quit now. I have all my n/a stuff with me here at school, I'll swap it all back this afternoon. My oil pan is still leaking so I need to fix that or risk not passing tech, as well as raise the front so it doesn't rub under compression and put my track pads on and bed them in.

The thing is I really enjoy driving the car. I usually don't mind working on it, but I've had so many issues recently it's not paying off. When this "season" ends I'm definitely taking a break.

Chris28

Made it to the track, destroyed both front wheel bearings, but had a blast. Faith has been restored in my engine, coolant temps stayed right at 180 all weekend and highest oil temps I saw were 220.

Time to get to work on new front hubs haha.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Just saw one, didn't know what it was, had to look it up. Didn't know they made a 2 door (must less 2 dr hard top Vert). Was purrdy.

Frank E Bones
Car: Slower than it looks

krimsonviper wrote:Whatever happened to FrankEBones?
:gotme
Razi wrote:Busy and stuff.
He's collecting parts for his KA-T setup.
I'm gonna go to his house and help him install shiz sooner or later.

Hahaha, what he said. Just working and stuff. I still lurk on here and read stuff once in a while. Damn it, I've had all the turbo stuff for a few months now and I still keep putting it off. It's just one damn thing after another. Soon though Razi, I'm hoping that I'll get it done before Halloween.

Oh and Chris, car looks AWESOME!!!

Sup WD, Josh and everyone else, I'll see you guys around.

Razi

Haha, I've got a ton of parts just laying around too.
I've just been too lazy to install em.

WDRacing

Hey Febsi :wavey:

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”