KA24DE Timing Chain Guide removal precautions/instructions?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Teh Luckinator
Car: 1995 240sx

Recently I've discovered that my engine makes a ticking noise. At first I was sure it was the timing chain, because... well, it just seemed like it. The ticking is coming from the front of the engine (towards front bumper) and it's HITTING AGAINST THE VALVE COVER. I've done some searching, and it seems like it's just the main guide for the timing chain hitting against the valve cover?

I was hoping it wasn't the whole timing chain, because the engine only has 76,000 miles on it. So I'll be trying to take off the main guide in a couple of days. Are there any precautions to doing this? I'm just assuming take off valve cover, find the main guide, take it off, new gasket, put on valve cover? Yeah, it's very broad, so can I have specific instructions? I have the FSM for my car, too, so hopefully it'll help some.

Any help would be appreciated. I won't work on it until I get some input. I have an S14 (1998 engine) by the way. Thanks.

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

the FSM is a great help.

its fairly intensive, and you need to make absolutely sure that the chain doesnt move from were it should be, as that can cost you an engine

jacob360
Car: 2 S13 Coupes

Remove the upper guide. Therre was a bulletin from Nissan stating that it is unnecessary, and only causes an annoying noise.

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

If it is just the upper chain guide you're in for an easy 1-2 on that problem. Pop anything that's attached or blocking your valve cover from coming off, take off the valve cover, undo the two (i think it's 2) bolts holding it in place and give the guides (might wanna keep the bolts in a bucket if you need bolts later) and give the guide the ol' heave ho into the trash. Put back the valve cover and all the crap on top of it that you pulled at the start, yadda yadda yadda, and stand back in amazement.

180fan

If you want the full timing chain job, I can walk you through the laborious job.

boon240
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

to the topic creator, where in stockton are you from? i'm from stockton too.

Teh Luckinator

I was looking at the FSM, and I noticed there's 3 GUIDES. Great. Here's a picture:

Now the bottom lists numbers 1, 5, and 15 as "chain guides." Since the "upper" guide is supposed to come off... which one is it? Since the word upper is involved, I assume it's number 1? Since... you know, it's at the top. Haha.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Could it be number 5, or even 15?

And to 240 smoking etc, I live by Spanos.
Modified by Teh Luckinator at 12:30 PM 2/26/2005

Teh Luckinator

Bad news. I went ahead and went through with taking out the timing chain upper guide, and it still ticks. Here's what I took off:

I started up the car, and at first it didn't tick. So I was all happy, etc, but when I got back into my garage and opened the hood, the tick was again apparent. I'm hoping that I took of the wrong guide, but I highly doubt it.

So, did my timing chain just go bad, and I need a new one? And by the way, if this helps, here's the sound it makes:

http://exel.fcuk.org/images/Lu...g.MPG

At first you can't hear it, but then I moved the camera around. It's that light constant ticking.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

i just had this done on an altima ka24de. on your previous post, there is find #5 which is an upper [side] guide. if I had to hazard a guess, it might be that one. did you check my photos? http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/...age=1

the upper [side] guide had more wear on it [still not a lot] than the upper upper [find #1]. to get the side guide, i beleive you will need to take the upper front cover off. get permatex super gray for resealing the front cover. how much wear was visible on the guide you removed? i agree its not necessary to have it in, but the amount of wear would also be an indicator ofhow much it was hitting.....

180fan

You got the upper guide. The chain is probably not bad, but you got something else causing the ticking. Are you absolutely sure it's coming from under the valve cover and not the injectors firing?

I ask because the full timing chain job will either 1. cost lots to have a mechanic do it, 2. take quite a while if it's your first time (I suggest using OEM parts for the chain job (new tension and slack side guides, guide bolts, front cover o-rings, tensioners, tensioner bolts, and the upper and lower chains)) with the parts alone running you a few hundred bucks. I do not suggest skimping on something as important as your timing chain which is also a pita to do once, let alone twice.

Teh Luckinator

How long do I have until I'm, basically screwed? Also, from the symptoms I have, could there be anything else wrong? I have no idea how timing chains break down, so I'm thinking, maybe just one part needs to be replaced?

It's still drivable, and it doesn't always tick. Just... sometimes. As GQ Jay said, maybe I should try taking out the guide that he took out?

180fan

That's a tensioner if it's the part that's spring loaded. The wear marks look pretty typical as you've got a chain rubbing up on it. The tensioners should be replaced when doing a chain job anyway, so that part would already be out of the picture. Check out courtesyparts.com for a pretty complete list of parts you'll need when doing this service. You don't however, need the new water pump (although if you've not done this and have over 130k you might wanna consider a new pump at this point) or haven't changed your drive belts in the past year or two it might be a good idea to get some new belts too. Can't beat OEM goodness.

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

One thing I noticed from that picture....

both guides are "deleted" And also the two bolts holding the side guide for the upper chain. However if you look at the bolts for the upper guide for the upper chain, it does not say "deleted".

That's odd... does that mean I would have to install it back in there after the upper guide removal?

s13sr20chris

no, the bolts are deleted. i dunno why it does not say that.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

180fan wrote:That's a tensioner if it's the part that's spring loaded. The wear marks look pretty typical as you've got a chain rubbing up on it. The tensioners should be replaced when doing a chain job anyway, so that part would already be out of the picture.
tensioner had the most wear on it. side guide was next in wear factor, and upper guide was least worn. Both the upper and side[upper side] guide were removed. Tensioner was replaced. chain was replaced although that was arguably not needed. no noise now [although i really only noticed it a little bit at idle-900 revs before removal].

s13sr20chris

Mav1178

hi, i am the Moderator for this forum and i really appreciate your help with this guys problem. \ i deleted your post because the info linked directly to another forum. This is considered poor netiquette. the only reason that is a problem is because nico is free and to keep it that way we need to keep folks coming here. feel free to quote other forums or whatever, but please refrain from linking directly to them. i deleted your second post because nico has a policy of not discussing(on the board) deleted posts and such. if you want to talk about it or maybe get your post put back up you need to talk with a mod or admin via email, phone, or something like that.

please understand that i am not trying to be a jerk. i am just trying to keep nico free for everyone.
mav1178 wrote:that aint cool
it is in fact cool.

mav1178

s13sr20chris wrote:Mav1178

hi, i am the Moderator for this forum and i really appreciate your help with this guys problem. \ i deleted your post because the info linked directly to another forum. This is considered poor netiquette. the only reason that is a problem is because nico is free and to keep it that way we need to keep folks coming here. feel free to quote other forums or whatever, but please refrain from linking directly to them. i deleted your second post because nico has a policy of not discussing(on the board) deleted posts and such. if you want to talk about it or maybe get your post put back up you need to talk with a mod or admin via email, phone, or something like that.

please understand that i am not trying to be a jerk. i am just trying to keep nico free for everyone.

it is in fact cool.
Then I just won't come back then.

-alex

ralphdig
Car: S13 240SX SE - FiatSchumacher- Peugeot 307XR- Renault Alpine A110

Hey look at here:

zerothread?id=105618

No need to go outside Nico!

HOW-TO: Fix Your Timing Chain Rattle

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Ralph:

Thanks for finding that I stickied it to remind me to make it part of our articles base.

ABSENTIMENTAL
Car: 1993 240sx

I bought the car used. an took off the valve cover to investigate.... only to find that my top guide was already missing.. I can put my hand on the top of the valve cover and feel the chain hitting the valve cover.... the knock is very loud.. It pisses me off.. but I know it isn't harmful

bone_stock_240
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45

Very loud knocking, and you can feel the chain hitting the cover? You might want to check that out. I cant imagine that being good for the chain. Seems like there is too much slack. Don't quote me on anything since I am constantly learning from people who actually know their shizzzz.

deagles007

I think the guide posted here in these forums (zerothread?id=105618&page=1) is great. I have a question regarding removing the distributor (and checking the timing). To just remove the tensioner and guides, I am wondering why this is necessary?

(I would have posted in the thread but it is locked!) Thanks!

p.s. I dont think using 40 weight oil is a really good idea....its too viscous.

Man..I got riced...
Car: NEW!!!! 07 Infiniti G-35 Coupe ***Traded in***1995 S-14 240sx SE 2.4 ltr, ***Traded in***1999 Subaru

Hey all, I am trying to respond to ILikemy240sx and thank him for his write up. My car was making that timing chain noise and because of his write up I can honestly say he probably saved my engine. I pulled my valve cover to look at the upper chain guide and it not only had broken off but it it had rubbed against the timing chain for so long that the guide was torn into sevral parts one down in the chain guide and the other was stuck on the first cam mount on the right cam. It had filled the motor with metal shavings. Because of him I found the problem removed what was left of the guide and changed the oil and filter and the motor sounds like its ok.

By the way my mechanic who I brought it to to see if I should buy it told me that it was the pcv valve stuck. Because there is a ball in the pcv valve that he said gets gummed up. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT? He says drive it really hard and the pressure of the motor will blow it clean LOL. Man im happy I didnt do that. I work on all my own cars and I bring this guy my inspections and the stuff I just cant hack. Yep he might do an inspection for me if he ever does anything for me again.

Man..I got riced...
Car: NEW!!!! 07 Infiniti G-35 Coupe ***Traded in***1995 S-14 240sx SE 2.4 ltr, ***Traded in***1999 Subaru

Man..I got riced... wrote:Hey all, I am trying to respond to ILikemy240sx and thank him for his write up. My car was making that timing chain noise and because of his write up I can honestly say he probably saved my engine. I pulled my valve cover to look at the upper chain guide and it not only had broken off but it it had rubbed against the timing chain for so long that the guide was torn into sevral parts one down in the chain guide and the other was stuck on the first cam mount on the right cam. It had filled the motor with metal shavings. Because of him I found the problem removed what was left of the guide and changed the oil and filter and the motor sounds like its ok.

By the way my mechanic who I brought it to to see if I should buy it told me that it was the pcv valve stuck. Because there is a ball in the pcv valve that he said gets gummed up. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT? He says drive it really hard and the pressure of the motor will blow it clean LOL. Man im happy I didnt do that. I work on all my own cars and I bring this guy my inspections and the stuff I just cant hack. Yep he might do an inspection for me if he ever does anything for me again.
Here is a picture

http://a116.ac-images.myspacec...3.jpg

Man..I got riced...

Hey sorry this is the picture....

http://a116.ac-images.myspacec...3.jpg

jonas92
Car: 90 240sx KA24DE-T Weekend Warrior
85 z31 RB20DET Track Rat
98 EK9 DD

i am having this same problem... only i took the (top) front cover off and 1. realized that the upper chain tensioner was about to fall of....2. that both upper guides that are unneeded were already deleted. and 3. that my lower chain tentioner was not tensioning at all... i know that it keepes its tension from oil pressure but i could run my finger between the chain and the tensioner guide.... it was clearly not tensioning anything..... so io have re tightened all the loose parts lol. but how do i go about fixing the hydrolic lower tensioner???? thanks!!!!

ps. the motor was built about 1000 mi ago... so EVERYTHING is new...

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”