KA24DE-T Bottom End

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
TruboostPerformance

Anyone on here know the absolute limiit of the KA24DE with turbo, that has there tuneds with plenty of fuel and a good intercooler to cool the air? I talked with SLY at NISMO in Cali, and he said the bottom end can hold up to 300hp, with plenty of fuel and keeping the air cool going into it, of course with little things like retarded timing,colder pulgs, etc... and all those goodies of keeping the motor from detonation as best as possiable...I have her at 8psi now with no problems at all, running real strong, just wondering if I can get away with 10-13psi if she is tuned good and has plenty of fuel if the bottom end will hold up until I get new rods and pistons??

Wolf240SX
Car: Tuning my car, working on friends cars

dont'push it I have heard of people going up to 14.5psi with no problems and other have bent their rods at 10psi. Again don't push it. if you are running fine at 8psi stay there until yuo get the new rods and pistons. In the end it is your choice.

BinaryVertigo

je pistons WITH rings = 550 (from Top End)crower rods = 679 (from nipponpower.com)peace of mindand virtually unbreakable motor with the right tuning = priceless

just spend the extra 1300 on forged internals, you wont regret it

-demitri

flip240

With a good condition bottom end, you should be able to boost more than 10psi if you are careful in your tuning. My guess is the guy who bent their rods (weird..) experienced detonation before it happened. On a carefully tuned KA engine (s14 at least) the first thing to go is the piston ring lands which are pretty close to the combustion and are pretty thin. If anything Get forged pistons like everyone says.

michael Walters

look man you are able to run up to 20psi on the stock bottom end if you have the correct engin management unit.

TruboostPerformance

Well that is good news, I have heard from several ppl that you can run at least 11-13psi if she is tuned correctly, retarded timeing , colder plugs, and plenty of cool air with lots of fuel, likeI said even the guy at NISMO said it can be done, so I was pretty confident when he told me it was good to go, anyone know how much the timeing should be retarded for 10psi?? at 5psi I had it back 3degree, now at 8psi I have it back 6degree...

TruboostPerformance

also if this helps my stock compression ratio is 9:0:1, what is the 240's? 9:5:1?and yes I do have a KA24DE..

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Everybody and their brother will have a different number on "how much boost can I run". You could take a stock KA and run 20psi on it with a T25, or you could blow it up at 4psi on a T78.

It all depends on tunning, the turbo size, fuel, and ignition maps.... there are so many variables.

Some parts of the country get only 91 octan pump gas, others get 94, cool tempatures up north allow more boost, higher altitudes..... you can't compaire boost numbers unless you know it all.

Why not talk HP levels... what is the most HP I can make.... that's full of variables as well, but at least it's somewhat more accurate of a number than 'how much boost'.

with minimal tunning the generally accepted level of 'safe' is somwhere around 7-8psi (this is with just an FMU) Next step up would be somthing like a JWT ECU, that would be safe till around 12psi. Beyond around 14 you can do it but you need VERY tight tunning and big injectors to keep it from blowing up. And by tight tunning I'm talkin standalone.

These numbers are all given assuming 93octan pump gas and a T3/T4 50trim (maybe a 60).

The bent rod thing was my old roommate Shawn, he had 8.5-1 fordged pistons, and 550cc injectors. The car spiked to around 23psi when the ****gate (I mean deltagate) failed. His motor ran out of fuel and detonated. This bent his rod and blew the headgasket all at the same time (it was pretty amazing when we pulled it all appart).

My opinion is that the stock rods are pretty strong, but you can't detonate them or they will get bent.

but pistons are a MUST.... unless you want to be like Jason and just run 14psi on a well tunned KA (his theory is that it's 1300+ machine work and bearings to re-build your motor but KA's are only $300 at the scrap yard so you could blow up like 4 of them and still come out ahead).

later,

PaulOrlando, FL

TruboostPerformance

What does everyong think about his KA? http://www.back-yard-productions.com/CONROY.htm,

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”