KA24DE STOCK Rebuild

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ErickSor
Car: 1993 240sx Hatch KA24DE

Couple questions regarding my rebuild, couldnt find anything online that helps as much so hopefully somebody can drop some KNOWLEDGE on me! I am doing a stock rebuild. Bought a a known working bottom end and Using the head portion of my old KA together (got rod knock on the old one due to that). Got everything off except for the block portion which seems to be what I am messing with the most. I know I got to remove everything to get the block decked etc.

First question: Can I reuse the rod cap bolts When putting the piston and rod back together? I read that you have to get the rods machined after so I wanted to try avoiding resizing the rods if getting aftermarket rod bolts. Its just stock power so I wanted to know if I would be okay with that.

Second Question: Rock Auto is selling headbolts for DUMB CHEAP! Will these be okay to use. I do not mind buying ARP Headstuds but for not trying to get HP gains down the line, will the headbolts be okay?

Third question: The main crank bolts, I read and seen on my crank that there are 3 different bolts and like 5 or 7 other bolts that hold the girdle and the crankshaft down to the block, are those bolt reusable as well? Some forums/sites says they are but some say get new ones. Need a definite answer.

Thank you for all that have read and very much appreciate all the help and responses

stokleyperformance

those bolts are all torque to yeild, meaning they are fully stretched to almost their limit from factory. do not reuse any critical fasteners such as all you have listed. and torque exactly to fastener manufacturer specs

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Nissan used to insist that rod bolts, being torque to yield, were mandatory replace on rebuild. Now that these bolts are NLA in the Nissan catalogs they say OK to reuse. BS ! Get new bolts !

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

X3. A TTY bolt technically begins to pull in half and why you cannot read torque on that type, the torque becomes inaccurate as soon as the bolt begins to give way. You do NOT want a bolt that has begun to twist in half on rods!!!!! The hardest working bolt in any engine, you want 100% new TTY or a standard old school torque bolt there.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”