Ka24de soon to be turbo, looking to tune.

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
KaTS13-614
Car: 1993 240sx

Ok so I am finally putting the car on the front burner. I have bought so much stuff that hasn't arrived. Apexi neo arrived the other day but I'm concerned about timing.

I have read and read and can't decide what is most economical.

Enthalapy seems like it may take longer and not yield the results I want. I'm impatient. Haha but at the same time I don't want to buy that and later in life he's retired.

Megasquirt is supported by a local tuning shop. Not sure I'm patient enough to deal with electronics although I'm confident I could build one. USNavy avionics. Old s*** but boards dont change.

Piggy back may be too unsafe. Not enough control or options to adjust.

T3/t4 turbo
Injectors SR or Z32
Z32 maf likely although I see cobra mafs a lot
Stock distributor
Upgraded fuel pump
Eventually I wouldn't mind ripping apart the engine for improvement.

What do you guys think? What routes have you gone and said yay or nay. I could really use some help. Oh and I'd like it to be easy. I.e. If I upgrade something no real lag time to be solid with the tune.

Also I have $400 in the neo and can return it. That's not my max but I don't have the wastegate, blowoff valve or the downpipe even ordered yet. I did look at wheels for the 5 lug conversion. Found rearend from z32. Back brakes. No brackets yet but hey. 13 years of sitting in the garage it is time. Thanks for the input.

ca18det_boy

post6749374.html#p6749374

Your KA will run with SR 370cc injectors off the stock ECU. You don't have to worry about it not starting and driving. It will just run a little rich. The NEO is a base piggy-back, but with the injectors you're using you don't have to worry too much about timing since you're not going to be able to squeeze a ton of power out of them. If it were me, I would run a bottom mount T2 manifold and use a stock nissan T28 turbine with your 370cc injectors. Then refine the fuel map with your NEO. That will net you over 200 wheel on a motor that isn't on it's last leg. If you want something way better than the NEO, return it and get NISTUNE. Then you can adjust all the parameters you want and it's almost half the cost. Since you an old AT guy, then you'll have no problem soldering in the PCB into your ECU.

So to recap (if it was MY build)

Run a bottom mount manifold with a factory T28 turbo, SR injectors (although I would prefer S15 SR injectors since they're 480cc instead of 370cc), return the NEO, buy/install nistune, drive to dyno, tune it up.

KaTS13-614
Car: 1993 240sx

Shoot. I did return the neo but went with megasquirt PNP2. Crucial performance local tuning shop recommended that and like 550 injectors.

Someone on Facebook mentioned nistune like an hr ago.

Didn't wanna change the turbo or mani but probably will in the future.

I'd like to build the motor and do a bunch of upgrades everywhere but after 13 years my patience wore out and want to get it going. What do you think is that a mistake or a good viable option to expand on.

Thanks for your current help and your service, I assume you were or are military we never stop lol.

ca18det_boy

Nah the megasquirt isn't bad and it'll be more than enough ecu for you. I don't think you'll run out of room with it. Nistune has it's limitations, its way better than a piggy back...but not as good as megasquirt IMO.

You are correct sir, AD2 (AW) separated

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

every system is good if tuner know how to deal with it. megasquirt its a good choice when you do a fresh fuel injection wiring install. plug and play systems works with 20 old year wiring so its a flip coin.

Return to “Engine Tuning”