ka24de NO SPARK PLEASE HELP

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
boneout
Car: S13 ka24de

Hey everyone I have a 1989 240sx with a 1993 ka24de swap. I am mid swap right now and I have compression and fuel but no spark from the coil wire. And I have been pulling hair over it everything has been plugged in and unplugged and put back in all grounds have been check a new coil, icm ,a new/ used distributer from a dismantler and a new ingition resister condenser. Anybody have any ideas???????
Last edited by boneout on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

boneout

And im getting power to the distributer the icm and the coil as well

240hatchsx
Car: 93 s13 hatch

This same thing happened to me right after my rebuild. I had to shorten the spark plug gaps from .44 to .40 and it started right up for me. I also did the ignition mod for the coil if its an s13 like mine

boneout

Its not the plugs I got new ngk s and gaped them but I cant get the coil wire to send spark to the distributer

240hatchsx
Car: 93 s13 hatch

Either bad coil or low to no power to coil. Search on YouTube for DIY s13 ignition coil mod. Let me tell you I've never had my s13 start and run so crisp until I did this mod and it's pretty cheap and easy to do as well.

boneout

Well im getting 12v to my coil and I bought a new coil still didnt work then I returned it and bought another coil and still nothing

boneout

240hatchsx wrote:Either bad coil or low to no power to coil. Search on YouTube for DIY s13 ignition coil mod. Let me tell you I've never had my s13 start and run so crisp until I did this mod and it's pretty cheap and easy to do as well.
Im also afraid that if I do spend the extra money on a coil upgrade that it wont fix the problem il just have another working coil set up

wotandsdwys
Car: 1992 240SX

Possible bad connection at the coil wire going to the distributor? Have you ohm'd out that wire? Seems like you're checking all the right things. Let me hop on to a FSM and do a little digging here in a second.

boneout

Yeah I checked the for resistance and it was fine thats y im sooooo confused the only thing I could think of is my ecu but thats the one thing I dont know how to check it or if I can at all?

wotandsdwys

So you had good voltage at the distributor, the Black/White wire with the key on and cranking?

What about a pusle signal on the ground side of the coil when cranking?

Would be awesome if someone you knew had an ecu you could swap in. Takes no time compared to testing one. lol

boneout

Yeah I have voltage with to the distributer with the key in the on position and cranking. Pulse signal? I have 12v to the coil with the key on but I havent checked while cranking is there supose to be a change. And I know it sucks im the only one of my friends still messing with ka

wotandsdwys

the ground side of the coil, can't remember the color of the wire, but its not the green/black wire. While it's cranking the voltage will vary from around 2.0v to 4.0v

Are you getting a 5v reference from the ECM to the distributor at the white wire and black wire?

boneout

It varies between 4 and 5v to the distributer when key is in on position. But to the coil iv only tested the coil with the key in the on position and I get 12v I havent tryed it while cranking what should I get while cranking?

wotandsdwys

boneout wrote:It varies between 4 and 5v to the distributer when key is in on position. But to the coil iv only tested the coil with the key in the on position and I get 12v I havent tryed it while cranking what should I get while cranking?
It should be a constant 5v going from the ECU to the distributor on the white wire and black wire. Any fluctuation kinda throws up a red flag to me. And on the ground side of the coil it should be fairly erratic and possibly hard to read on a digital multimeter due to it pulsing the voltage quite quick for every firing of the coil.

Is there any friends of yours you could steal an ecu from? Or junkyard?

boneout

Honestly no my friends dont have ka s and iv been to the junk yard five times for this build all the s13 I find have sohc in it so I can use nothing from it. The one thing I did buy from a dismantler was the distributor to save $100. I could try to buy an ecu private party but then I wont know if it works. But I think my ecu might be from an automatic could that be the problem? Do u know any tricks to see if an ecu is broken with out a spare lol?

boneout

wotandsdwys wrote:
boneout wrote:It varies between 4 and 5v to the distributer when key is in on position. But to the coil iv only tested the coil with the key in the on position and I get 12v I havent tryed it while cranking what should I get while cranking?
It should be a constant 5v going from the ECU to the distributor on the white wire and black wire. Any fluctuation kinda throws up a red flag to me. And on the ground side of the coil it should be fairly erratic and possibly hard to read on a digital multimeter due to it pulsing the voltage quite quick for every firing of the coil.

Is there any friends of yours you could steal an ecu from? Or junkyard?
Do u know or know were I can find the voltage read outs for the icm, the distributor , and the coil. I cant just find the proper voltage for them while the key is in the on position and when its cranking?

Pizza042
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

I know this forum is old. But I’m having the exact same issue at the moment. Did u ever figure out the issue?

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Pizza042 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:10 pm
I know this forum is old. But I’m having the exact same issue at the moment. Did u ever figure out the issue?
Bud, the last post was 8 years ago. I think you meant thread but regardless, download a copy of the FSM linked up at the top there for your car and most have a pretty good troubleshooting section under the EC chapter (engine control)

There are tons of things that could cause a lack of spark.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”