KA24DE new swap in Datsun 620 - no start condition.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
620_Brian
Car: 79 620

First time poster - long time lurker.

Over the past year, I have entirely rebuilt a 96 KA24DE and swapped it into a 79 Datsun 620 620.
It has the standard KA/240 5 speed behind it (also rebuilt).
Wiring specialties harness custom made for this application and a 96 KA ECM.
Everything is plugged in and terminated per wiring specialties documentation.
Grounds all over the place, chassis, body, starter, alt, ecm.
Brand new battery.
Triple checked the timing - i.e. - I put it at TDC with the finger in the #1 hole trick, long ratchet extension dropped in plug hole is at its top movement, the crank pulley is on 0deg, the #1
Cam lobes are pointing out at TDC (pics below).
Proper S14 dizzy.
Good spark on all 4.
Walbro 255 FP and a Tomei FPR set at around 40psi.
I removed the fuel rail and rigged up water bottles under each injector. They all spray while cranking (a LOT actually).

I just cant get it to start.
If I spray starting fluid it WILL start and actually sounds like it running for about 30 sec.
I'm pretty sure its in time or close if I can get it to run on fluid - please correct me if I'm wrong.

What am I missing?
Any help is greatly appriciated.

Theory - Its almost like the injectors are spraying TOO much and flooding the cylinders - like its not presenting an nice atomized spray on the compression stroke - its more like a giant puddle that the plugs cant ingnite? I dont know.

NOTE - I do have another S14 ecm and a another S14 dizzy on its way from the ebay.....thats only thing i can think of trying.

some pics:

TDC cams:

TDC crank pulley:

FPR:

macgiver

Definitely missing a compression test , or mention thereof . Basic's forever = Fuel+Air, Compression, Spark.
Timed properly.
Something offhand "looks" wrong with the cams , lobes seem to not be positioned - picture them rotating in step , a quick think here , like no overlap ,also like when the intake and exhaust lobes "come around" - they don't seem proper - IF i'm picturing correctly and I don't know the motor and which side is intake and exhaust .Maybe the sprockets can be bolted out of time , or your marks are'nt for some reason correct . If ignition "hits" on BTDC proper - it may SEEM to run due to the explosive nature of starting fluid ,different than gas, a buildup of residual fluid may ignite "good enough" to FAKE like it runs properly ??

620_Brian

Thanks for reply.
The motor is a fresh rebuild from a reputable shop. So I didn’t bother with a compression test. Its all new tight.

I did the timing chain myself tho so.....

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/CA ... KA24DE.PDF

This links ^ .pdf is kind of the gold standard for timing these motors. Second page shows how I think my cams are positioned and dots are shown at TDC.

I’m going to do a “noid” light test tonight on injector #1 and see if TDC is really TDC in relation to the distributor.

That will put the timing thing to bed.

620_Brian

I think this proves I’m in time.
Correct?

https://vimeo.com/354748629?ref=tw-share‬

macgiver

Case closed ....... Simply marvelous . :crazy:

620_Brian

Well...the timing issue is sorted. I think.

I mean based on the timing light / L.E.D. flash sync I'm obviously off a couple degrees - which I should be able to dial in by twisting the dizzy.

But it still doesn't run. But I have fuel.

WTF.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”