Ka24de cam install

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Simonsaid
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX hatch

Helping my cousin install a set of aftermarket cams in a car he got from a buddy. Head was disassembled. We cannot get the dang cams to bolt in?? No matter how they are oriented the lobes push on the hydraulic lifters and we can’t get them pushed down enough to bolt down the cam caps? What’s the trick here? We stripped out a few bolts already trying to pull the cam down with the cam cap bolts and had to retap. Afraid to go any further and strip more.

Any help appreciated! I’ve done a few cam installs on a few Honda’s and Miatas but this is the first Nissan and it’s kicking my butt.

Akuhyo
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Hatch

Simonsaid wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 am
We cannot get the dang cams to bolt in?? No matter how they are oriented the lobes push on the hydraulic lifters and we can’t get them pushed down enough to bolt down the cam caps? What’s the trick here?
There aren't any hydraulic lifters on the KA, maybe you were referring to the shimmed buckets?

Also, are you sure the cams are for that engine? There is a difference between an S13 KA 89-94 and an S14 KA 95-98, the main difference being the intakes and the head. Cams usually aren't too hard to put in, they should rotate a bit over the cam grooves then just fall in.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

If they're large cams like the BC V3s, you have to clearance the head for the cams. Pictures would help the forums give you some guidance there.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”