KA24 in 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
Spidey
Car: my car

Hey guys I know your wondering why someone would do this but I basically have no other choice for now. I recently swapped my KA in my 240 for the Sr20 and now got a hold of a 1973 510. The engine has a bvlown head so I was wondering how difficult it would be to swap in the KA24E. What would I need?? What motor mounts could I use?? etc. I'd appreciate any help.Thanks

Xero

Mounts, Wiring, I believe theyve done it in Australia so many times that you can find the mounts, look around,

The KA24 is actually a good swap into the PL510, if you don't want to lay down the cash or have the engine laying around,

http://www.geocities.com/Motor....html

Spidey
Car: my car

Thanks thats great info. Is there any other car you think the Ka24E would drop right in anything older than 1973?????

ka24de_510

Get some 3/4 inch steel spacers and it will mount right up to the stock motor mounts. The tranny is a bit more of a hassle, you have to make some adjustments there (or just drill some extra holes in the floor).

The wiring will basically be completely different than the 510, but it's not that hard. The exhaust system will require a little fab too. Remove the whole EGR system, and if you want you can hook the speedometer up to the ka tranny with an old 1978 280zx part that you can get at a junkyard for $5. The driveshaft will need to be shortened as well.

Other than that, get as much of the sensor info to the ECU by whatever wiring routes look cleanest to you, get an aftermarket air filter system, relocate the battery to the trunk

ka24de_510

oh, one other thing, you have to either mess with the oil pan or the front cross member to make it fit. the oil pan is the easier route imo, and you can buy one from a guy in cali with extra oil capacity to keep it from starving in sharp turns.

Turbo 510

Putting a KA in a 510 is really simple. The motor mounts and trans mount are a matter of simple fabrication and the crossmember needs to be modified to make everything fit. The wiring is not really too hard it just takes some time with a wiring diagram and the correct relays to make everything work like a stock vehicle. If you go woth a turbo, setup the fab work is alittle more involved but well worth the effort. 280 HP in a 510 is a rush.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

The problem is finding one of those little bastards. Seems like they're all on the West coast.

Turbo 510

They are getting hard to find especially where they use salt on the roads. I got lucky and found a '73 (stamped 1/73, they stopped making them in Feb. of '73) in Portland with original paint and vey little rust. The guy that had it had done the L20B/5 speed/SU carb deal but it wasn't in bad shape and he hadn't hacked anything but the wiring harness. That took alittle work to sort out but it wasn't bad.I just talked with JWT about the 740cc injector/Cobra MAF upgrade. Clark says it will make about 450-500 HP which should be really wild in a 510. We added a live axel/4 link set up to the rear so that it can handle the power which so far, has worked really well. No hopping or squating. The tire just dig in and go.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Damn....sounds lovely. I've pretty much decided to scratch my KA-T project in my 240, and would love to use the motor in a 510, possibly turbo it later. Just can't find one.

toytinker
Car: dimes

Turbo 510

Proceed with caution. I found that a KADE from a 240SX requires some fabrication in the motor mount area to make it sit just right and get it back far enough to make radiators and fans fit. Can't speak for the truck block, but I hear it is different from the 240 block. A custom oil pan is not needed but recommended, as it hangs about an inch below the crossmember (which I reversed and rewelded). Overall, the swap is pretty straight forward with the most difficult part being the trans crossmember and the time consuming job of sorting out the harness for the EFI and mating it to the 510 harness. All said and done, it works extremely well, and looks like it was meant to be there (unlike an SR20).

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”